Avernum character limit?

This is probably a dumb question, but here goes:

I've never played Avernum before, but I really want to try it soon. As we know, the original Exile games allowed up to six characters per party. While the first Avernum trilogy is supposed to be a remake of the Exile series, the screenshots for the Avernum games show only four characters.

So my question is, are parties in Avernum limited to four characters? Or are only four of them shown at a time? If it's the former case, then has it been compensated in any way (such as more powerful abilities)? I'm sure there were situations where it would help to have six characters rather than four.

You're limited to four characters, yeah. Of course six is always better than four, but four is plenty enough to make it through the games with little difficulty, because, as part of the rewrite, the games were rebalanced for four PCs. You can still get one of each of the major character types (fighter, rogue, mage, priest), and there is opportunity enough to have dual-skilled characters, so you never really miss the extra two characters.

If you're looking at playing these games for the first time, you might also want to consider playing Avernum: Escape from the Pit, which has just been released for Mac, and is currently in testing for Windows and iPad (and is probably close to release for the latter, if not the former); expect them around April at the latest.

Summons didn't get limited until Avernum 5. That's when Jeff started asking beta testers how they were playing boss encounters and didn't like the answers:

use terror wands to make the boss cower in fear while you attack with impunity -- now they have higher mental resistance

summon an army of monsters -- limit two summons per Avernum party

run a glass cannon where health comes from spells and not endurance -- essence armor no longer provided health, augmentation spell was removed in Avernum 6 and Avernum: Escape from the Pit

Originally Posted By: oh, mother
You're limited to four characters, yeah. Of course six is always better than four, but four is plenty enough to make it through the games with little difficulty, because, as part of the rewrite, the games were rebalanced for four PCs. You can still get one of each of the major character types (fighter, rogue, mage, priest), and there is opportunity enough to have dual-skilled characters, so you never really miss the extra two characters.

Thanks for the information; that's what I thought.

By the way, has Simulacrum been removed or nerfed in the later games? That was the most overpowered summoning spell, IMO.