The Taskmaker Tragedy

aka Ravenwing

A release? Not so, I'm afraid.

Some may recall that I was designing a scenario based on the late Storm Impact's "Taskmaker". Intermittently, really; I wasn't particularly diligent about it, and it'd been roughly 5 years in the works. Still, work was coming along, and I'd finished all the mapping and about half of the scripting. 50+ towns, 9 outdoor sections… kind of a major commitment.

Some may also recall that I'd planned on entering it into the 10th Annual Scenario Contest in December. This did not happen, because my computer died on me a few weeks prior to the entry deadline.

Well, long in short, I got a new computer, and I sent my hard drive to a recovery service a few days ago to salvage the files on it. Unfortunately, I received word today that there was nothing to be saved, because everything had essentially been scratched out. Gone.

So. What with this scenario completely wiped (along with every other unreleased project I've had in the works), I find myself with the difficult fact that I now have to either start again from scratch, or just bag the whole idea and find a different hobby altogether.

To those I've let down, I'm sorry. I know I've kind of played it up a bit for a few years. It was gonna be pretty awesome, not gonna lie. But you'll just have to take my word for it.

Summary: Boohoo. I hate computers.

eek That sucks. Having gone through similar ordeals with a total of four computers, I can sympathize. Sorry for asking the obvious, but did you have anything backed up?

Originally Posted By: aka Ravenwing
Summary: Boohoo. I hate computers.
Yeah, computers work great--when they work right. As the saying goes: To err is human, to really foul things up takes a computer.

Mystic: Nah. No backups at all. Like a complete assclown. If I even had a version that was two years old, I could work with it, but not even that. -_-

I do appreciate the sympathy. I mean, it pretty much is what it is. Which is exceedingly frustrating, to say the least. There was a lot of stuff I wasn't 100% satisfied with, so at least if and when I get around to starting over, I'll have a reason to do them differently (though admittedly, most of those things were niggles, and easy enough to fix anyway).

I guess until then, maybe I'll start something different. Smaller though. -_-

EDIT: I did actually find a backup of the Taskmaker .bas file, from before I had my own computer. It was obviously done on the standard BoA Editor, before I discovered 3D. And there are no towns mapped, and no scripts written. Just a very, very basic 9-section outdoor. It's something, but not something very useful. Erngh…

• 1 month later...