Gazer in Lermans Pass - Unfair or Extremely Unfair[G5]

Just playing through geneforge 5 usually i would have killed guardian makar and gone through that way, but instead i decided to go through lermans pass. I'd tried this before with a shaper and done almost no damage in the gazer fight, then fustrated i created a new game with a guardian, i made it through the battle alphas, worms and vlishes fairly easily, got inside, made my way to the gazer chamber and sat there helpless for about eleven turns paralized or something, being blasted to bits by the gazer and his turrets - some advice?

Originally Posted By: Asperus
Just playing through geneforge 5 usually i would have killed guardian makar and gone through that way, but instead i decided to go through lermans pass. I'd tried this before with a shaper and done almost no damage in the gazer fight, then fustrated i created a new game with a guardian, i made it through the battle alphas, worms and vlishes fairly easily, got inside, made my way to the gazer chamber and sat there helpless for about eleven turns paralized or something, being blasted to bits by the gazer and his turrets - some advice?

This fight is one that you are meant to come back to later. If you beat the mindcontrolled captain of Lerman's Pass, you can get the key to get out the way you came. From there, you are free to go through and defeat Guardian Makar.

The best way I've found to beat that Gazer is to draw it out of the room so that the submission turrets can't paralyze you. This usually involves having a lot of creations handy to help you fight.

My advice: don't bother. The gazer isn't meant to resemble a fair fight from 500 meters at this point in the game. The game in theory gives you the option to go through Lerman's Pass instead of Kratoa-Kel, but it's not something to try unless one is really, really good at G5. I've heard of a few people managing, but usually on lower difficulties, and even then it's pretty rare.

If you still want to try, I can give some advice (as can various others), but even with really good advice there's a good chance that you just won't be able to beat it at this level.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe if you cold rack up XP killing Unbound, you might be powerful enough to get by, especially if you go to Sage Whats-his-name for your reward. Then again, Unbound are just as bad.

It's been a while since I've tried that fight - can't you just shoot thorns at him from around a corner and stay out of range of the turrets? Magic creations are pretty much proof against stun, so vlish are of no avail. I have an idea.

Toss in a heavily armored plated clawbug to entertain them, then smash him up with whatever ranged power you can throw at him. When the clawbug dies in one or two rounds, retreat around the corner and the gazer should follow you. Then send in the rest of your melee creations for the killing blow.

Haven't tried this, so I don't know if it will work, but I will test it as soon as I can.

Corrupted Thahds are beasts against it (and anything really) because of their acid attack and lolbbqover9k magic resistance. I did a run with a shocktrooper once with the sole purpose of skipping Kratoa-Kel and going through the Pass to the Storm Plains and used them to devastating effect.

Pulled the Gazer out with one and had a platoon ready to swarm it. Used some chaos spores to get Essence Blade on some thahds and healing spores to keep the creations' HP up (got that mass regenerating thing popped up too if you're wondering). Swarming forced it to go melee, which is weaker (I reckon), and kept it in one place.

Gazer? Didn't it have -Eye at the end of its name? I think it was an eye beast.

What I did was after giving the shadow end roads to Rawal and getting battle alpha, I created seven, and surrounded MR eye-beast in a corner, using the others to kill the thorn turrents. It was hard, and I recomend a large amount of healing pods, spores, and anything you got.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Student of Trinity
Gazer gender seems to be a permanent mystery. I seem to remember somewhere in Geneforge 4 where you could ask a Gazer about how they reproduced, and the answer was not at all informative. Or am I remembering wrong?

The answer was, and I'm only paraphrasing slightly here, "it's private and very biological".

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cheats are always relevant. That's the only way I can win.

Be that as it may, you may give newcomers the (wrong!) impression that cheating is the only way to beat the games. Feel free to suggest cheats to players who ask for them, or even start a cheat thread if you want, but please show a little restraint otherwise. Thanks!

These games are not particularly difficult, you know, except if you're playing on Torment difficulty without knowing the tricks. There's nothing wrong with cheating — you're the only player, who cares what you do with your own game? (The rogues aren't too happy about it, I guess, but they're just creations.) There's no reason to be in awe of anyone who can win without cheats, though. You could, too, if you wanted.

Play a Sorceress. Invest heavily in Mental Magic, Spellcraft and Intelligence, and moderately in Blessing Magic, Healing Craft and at least one type of creation skill. Make a bunch of creations, daze every enemy you see and have your creations focus-fire the dazed enemies to death one at a time.

There are other strategies that work too, but that's an easy one.

• 1 year later...