Helpful ghosts in Exile 3?

Thaluikhain

A few times in Exile 3, you come across some helpful spirits or something. One in Upper Exile (near a pool, IIRC), once in far north Valorim (and another ghost that leads you into an ambush), and IIRC, one that unlocks a cell door.

Also, there's the ghost of that renegade thief that hides treasure in animal pens (which, BTW, was a great idea, you see them all around but players aren't going to search them unless they know to), that you see in the destroyed town with the slimes.

IIRC, you meet an NPC that spoke to a ghost telling them to help you as well.

What's with those? I've never been able to work that out. Are they all the same ghost? Why are they helping you and how do they know what's going on?

In the world of Exile, people can come back as ghosts if they died, usually if they died with unfinished business or strong emotions. And they're not hostile unless there's reason for them to be.

—Alorael, who wants to run into a ghost who died of surprise and is constantly shocked about being a ghost. "I mean, I died, but here I am! And now adventurers are totally talking to me post-mortem! Wow!"

Should have been more clear, I didn't mean just random ghosts, there are a few that seem to know all about you, your quest, and what you will end up finding, and who are opposed by something else that makes them disappear after giving you cryptic hints.

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Some of the others are ghosts of townfolk that want revenge on those that killed them. The best examples are the town of Colchis where there are hidden items and the Tower of Magi to help with a different problem.

The one in Colchis that give you the helm of alertness and basic charm to fight the slimes?

That's one of the ones I meant, there's a secret passage in the animal pens, and I was wondering if that was the same person as the renegade thief that liked hiding things in animals pens before he was killed.

It also seemed to be fairly knowledgable about things, and who just happens to have thsoe two items and nothing else unless they are specifically helping you against the slimes in advance?

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
Should have been more clear, I didn't mean just random ghosts, there are a few that seem to know all about you, your quest, and what you will end up finding, and who are opposed by something else that makes them disappear after giving you cryptic hints.

I think that's supposed to be Bon-Ihrno.

I see there are a couple of special encounters and items inside bon-ihrno's house with all maps from the editor, Yet even with a level 50 mage, the unlock spell, piercing crystals, a twenty in strength to try and bust down the door with another, a twenty in picking locks with magic lockpics with my archer, there is no way I can get through his door. Any suggestions? Is there a secret passage or way in?

Originally Posted By: Micawber
Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain

I think that's supposed to be Bon-Ihrno.

Oh, so that's nothing to do with the one in Colchis then? I thought that was more of the same.

• 1 month later...

I think that some of the other ghosts of townfolk are just out to seek revenge to the ones who have eliminated and killed them. There are the lot of examples that we could evidently see, though most of them have different problems going.

While there are times that they are nothing more than just some great scenery added to make it all good looking.