SWTOR

Rowen

Originally Posted By: Dantius
I'm leery of getting it, since there's a chance that my hopes of KOToR 3 will be dashed when the game turns out more along the lines of Dragon Age 2.

have you ever wished that bioware would get out of the rpg industry and start making massively multiplayer online dating sims?

because if so, do i ever have good news for you

I'm leery of getting it, since there's a chance that my hopes of KOToR 3 will be dashed when the game turns out more along the lines of Dragon Age 2.

Besides, it's not like I have time to do MMORPG's now...

It certainly isn't Kotor 3, at least not as I would have wanted it. My first beta weekend was very disillusioning, but - even though some of the MMO elements are quite distracting at first and it's so different from Kotors 1&2 - I'll still play it, enjoy it for what it is, and quietly mourn its lost potential.

As I haven't played Dragon Age 2, I can't specifically answer that fear. I do know people who won't play TOR after having seen what it's like, and I'm guessing you might fall into that category.

Originally Posted By: Mistb0rn
It certainly isn't Kotor 3, at least not as I would have wanted it. My first beta weekend was very disillusioning, but - even though some of the MMO elements are quite distracting at first and it's so different from Kotors 1&2 - I'll still play it, enjoy it for what it is, and quietly mourn its lost potential.

As I haven't played Dragon Age 2, I can't specifically answer that fear. I do know people who won't play TOR after having seen what it's like, and I'm guessing you might fall into that category.

frown

I guess I'll just cry in a corner after failing to get Baldur's Gate or NWN running on my win7 machine and no longer having access to classic BioWare games that aren't dating sim games in disguise.*

No exception for the original Dragon Age? At least that's a throwback to more BG-like times, and I give the designers a lot of credit for making half of the possible romances rather important to the plot.

—Alorael, who has no intention of play SW:TOR. He does not want an MMORPG. He'll be missing out on some single-player RPG, too, but unless Bioware pulled off a miracle and made an actual compelling plot for their MMO, he won't miss it. And he's not enough of a Star Wars fan to care about that angle per se.

Originally Posted By: ...No, wait. No days in caves!
No exception for the original Dragon Age? At least that's a throwback to more BG-like times, and I give the designers a lot of credit for making half of the possible romances rather important to the plot.

Buying a European History textbook and replacing "Muslims" with "Qunari", "Jews" with "Elves", "Catholic Church" with "Chantry", "France" with "Orlais", "England" with "Ferelden", "Vikings" with "Chaisend" and "Romans" with "Tevinter", and then redrawing the map in the back and submitting it as your design document does not make for an interesting and novel fantasy world.

EDIT: No, wait. My bad. You replace "Romans" with "Dwarves" and "Byzantines" with "Tevinter".

Buying a European History textbook and replacing "Muslims" with "Qunari", "Jews" with "Elves", "Catholic Church" with "Chantry", "France" with "Orlais", "England" with "Ferelden", "Vikings" with "Chaisend" and "Romans" with "Tevinter", and then redrawing the map in the back and submitting it as your design document does not make for an interesting and novel fantasy world.

EDIT: No, wait. My bad. You replace "Romans" with "Dwarves" and "Byzantines" with "Tevinter".

Mass Effect making the Quarians into space gypsies wasn't exactly progressive either

seriously what is up with that accent

Originally Posted By: Lilith

Mass Effect making the Quarians into space gypsies wasn't exactly progressive either

seriously what is up with that accent

Well, at least they didn't blatantly stereotype a species as short, ugly, and only concerned with making money off of other people's misfortune...

Oh. Wait. The Volus.

Dragon Age isn't exactly a fascinating exercise in world-building, and pretty much the entire game is assembling your army (recycled for ME2 on a smaller scale), but the plot holds together just fine.

Mass Effect has a slightly more interesting take on space opera, space Jews and space gypsies and all.

—Alorael, who also isn't exactly bowled over by the world-building in BG2 or NWN. For one thing, Bioware didn't do much. They arguably did more to create a world in KotOR, where at least they were working in a fresh time period. And literally D&D-standard fantasy is, well, standard. Games can be good despite unimaginative settings.

Dwarf Fortress would be more fun if it wasn't so bogged down with the worst UI in the history of video games. Even with one of those Dwarf Managers, my fortresses always end up drowning in useless migrant soap washers and dust gatherers and it just isn't worth continuing at that point.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Dwarf Fortress would be more fun if it wasn't so bogged down with the worst UI in the history of video games. Even with one of those Dwarf Managers, my fortresses always end up drowning in useless migrant soap washers and dust gatherers and it just isn't worth continuing at that point.

Ditto. It has a learning cliff instead of a curve; The only think I figured out how to operate were the menus despite some 15 hours of trying.

Originally Posted By: Enraged Slith
Protip: using the "v" menu you can enable and disable labors, effectively turning the useless spare brownclassers into more useful people.

I also tend to take every useless person and drop them into the military. Excellent cannonfodder when the goblins come knocking.

The PC port of Mass Effect is seriously the most lazy piece of software I've ever tried to work with, and it isn't even supported by Bioware at this point so I'm just fed up with that company. I have no idea why anyone would feel comfortable giving them their money every month to moderate a massive video game when they are incapable of keeping their slightly older products in working condition.

Speaking of which, Mass Effect 1 and 2 are currently only $5 on Steam. If you haven't played these before and don't mind some serious headaches trying to figure out how they were ever released to retail, they've never been cheaper.

Click to reveal..
Ehhh, aside from both being computers, they really don't share all that much in common. If I had to swap EDI out with something else for comedic effect, it would probably be Eddie from the Hitchhiker's trilogy. Even then, the only similarity would be the name; this is less "crossover due to similarity" and more "crossover for wacky hijinks".

Though maybe someone with video editing skillz could replace EDI's blue hologram with Norman Lovett's face.

If we're going for obvious references (perhaps only obvious to me due to what I watched during my formative years):
Click to reveal..
Harbinger == Dr. Claw

"I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, SHEPARD"