Items to Keep - Avernum: Escape from the Pit (SPOILERS)

Items to keep including for quests and potion crafting:

Alchemy ingredients:

-- healing herbs

-- spiritual herbs

-- energetic herbs

-- graymold

-- mandrake

3 picks

3 shovels

45 bars of iron

3 hammers

3 pincers

3 tongs

50 bags of meal

40 wine

1 Almarian wine

all Aranea fangs

all Magical Notes

30 ale

Bag of Sugar

3 Meat shanks 

For item collection quests where the number isn't specified in the quest description if you have more of the items than needed to finish the quest in your inventory the NPC will usually still buy all of them before telling you that they don't need anymore the next time you return with that item.

Ale is the only one where they never buy more than 30.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: Kreador
The one I'm a bit confused on is the magical notes. Unless that's a quest given after something like the Pyrog's Papers quest from Thantria or the slith in Kyass, I haven't found who wants them. I think I've talked to everyone.

Someone in the Mage Tower will pay for them, can't recall name at the moment. I think it is a quest, like the sack and wine one's are.

edit: oops, someone answered it already, and it was the castle not the tower.

Originally Posted By: Jarval
As "keeping items" is the topic, i wondered if it is safe to keep items piled up at the ground somewhere, or inside a chest or crate - or do they get deleted after some time?

It is a persistent world, so things on the town/dungeon maps stay where you put them.

I believe that there is a limit on how many items you can drop on one square.

Originally Posted By: Rowen
Originally Posted By: Jarval
As "keeping items" is the topic, i wondered if it is safe to keep items piled up at the ground somewhere, or inside a chest or crate - or do they get deleted after some time?

It is a persistent world, so things on the town/dungeon maps stay where you put them.

I believe that there is a limit on how many items you can drop on one square.

Does a 'square' mean where each character is standing or 'one square patch of screen'? I have a lot of stuff in the Mage Tower Pylon room. Hate to have it disappear...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Where can i find the picks and shovels?

There are many of them scattered around the game. Look at dead ends in dungeons and sewers, and you'll often find them (where people were digging out more tunnels, I guess). For more specific locations, you can search for them in the items list linked from the strategy central topic.

• 1 year later...

Is the 45 bars of iron a misprint? I've been lugging around dozens of these things for months now, and while if I swing my pack hard enough they make a decent weapon, it does slow me down when running from drakes.

I cashed in a handful in Silvar a long time ago. Am I missing something or is there some grand bargain in the end-game where Boutell melts down 40 bars for a hudraulic drill to tunnel back to the surface?

I'm going to see how many iron/meal I can collect in my second playthrough. I got pretty high the first time. Like 78 meal I turned in at once and sold them all! :) Might make the early game tough, but I think it will be much easier now that I know where to go when/etc.

Anyone sneak in 2-3 steals early on? I mean batant right under their nose take a Steel Shield or iron crude broadsword, something that would be a significant upgrade at the time? I never did until I found out most friendly towns allow 4 steals. Might give that a try :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Oh, thanks. It's 3 meat shanks, by the way, says Slarty in this thread, and I recall that being accurate from previous playthroughs. Or playpartlythroughsandgetdistracted. I swear, this time I'll complete it! I beat Exile 1 and couldn't finish Exile 2, and got as far as Limoncelli's fortress where the difficulty took a sharp uptick and got frustrated. I got as far as the golems in Exile 3 and maybe Avernum 3 but couldn't beat them. The remake remakes have Casual Mode though! :D

• 1 year later...

I believe there is a limit to the maximum number of collectible items that will be accepted. For example, I sold 49 bags of meal on one visit to Ft. Draco. I came back later with a large quantity (84) but Bill only took 51 of them, for a total of 100. I don't think I am going to find enough wine or iron bars to learn whether they have similar upper limits.