Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic
Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 4,341
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:42 AM #36 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

The Negotiator works for the entire party and the benefits increase with each party member that has it from +10% to +40% if they all have it.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software.  Please leave your sanity at the door.  Then you will be in the right place.  smile
"I don't know how we can ever repay you!" - Rescued damsel in distress
"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Dear Potato Dear Potato

Soldier

• Member ID: 9,496
  • 109 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 10:34 AM #37 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Thanks, Randomizer! And for the welcome, too ^_^

I'm afraid I lost my sanity long ago. Maybe she's still adventuring out there with my common sense. So, I'm in the right place wink
Me gustan más las personas que los principios, y lo que más me gusta en este mundo son las personas sin principios.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• Member ID: 7,556
  • 706 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:24 PM #38 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I've been through Drath Chambers a lot of times, but this time I'm stucked. I put different objects in each chamber to know where the party is, only this time I forgot which is the trick to reach last chamber... someone here wrote you have to take only the eastern portal several times, but the tip doesn't work, after a while the party arrives always and only in one of the wrong chambers. Help!
"Your freedom to do what?" "Sinister imp things"
"Loud Shadowalkers?"
"It's a nice garden" - "No, it's not. It's a stupid garden"

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 05:05 PM #39 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Rooms and Portals

Spoiler

"Oh, I'm sure we can think of something .... How much gold do you have?" - "Hero"

"We're all screwed if Cthulhu shows up. Try to enjoy life in the meantime." - Adam Rawnsley

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:03 AM #40 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Thanks, I tried it three times but didn't succeed. Still stucked. Isn't there any other way to find the way out?
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 11:15 AM #41 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

It sounds like you are in the last portal room.  Try the hidden switch.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:30 AM #42 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Mmm... no, maybe there's something wrong with instructions, i.e. when text says the party is in a room with a hidden switch that opens nothing, the party is instead in a room with a secret switch that opens a passage that leads to a path that ends into water.
That is also the last room where they are when instructions end.
I usually have problems with directions, but I believe I paid much attention this fourth time and don't have an explanation for what happens.
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Dear Potato Dear Potato

Soldier

• 109 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:25 AM #43 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Hello again! I have another little doubt; hope anyone can answer me again ^_^

I have maxed out my "Spellcraft" skill with my main mage, but I found a helmet that increases it two points. Now, in the mage skill tab, despite being maxed out, the +2 benefit still seems to apply. Is this for real? Her spells don't seem to benefit at all (every one of them does the same amount of damage, having the helmet or not).

So, the passive benefits from equipment cannot help to surpass the skill limit? The skill part of this guide seems to imply that the +2 really works... but I'm confused since it doen't seem to reflect in the spell damage numbers.

Thanks!
Me gustan más las personas que los principios, y lo que más me gusta en este mundo son las personas sin principios.

Lilith Lilith

in before the apocalypse

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 669
  • 19,844 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:42 AM #44 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Yeah, extra points from equipment still give you a benefit even above a skill level of 10. You can also buy points from a trainer even after raising a skill to 10, and those extra points will apply too. The reason you're not seeing a clear difference is because 2 points of Spellcraft is a 4% difference in damage, which will be mostly overshadowed by random variation.

Dear Potato Dear Potato

Soldier

• 109 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:56 AM #45 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I see. So, probably, that 4% is not worth wearing the helmet, anyway...

I always try to max the damage output for mages, and this helmet was a nice surprise ^_^

Thanks!

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 04:54 AM #46 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

The helmet also provides great armor for a helmet.

Dear Potato Dear Potato

Soldier

• 109 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 05:58 AM #47 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Yeah, it's true, but she wore a pretty decent helmet with 20% resistance for poison/acid. Since I'm using her as the front character, I look thoughtlessly to pump all resistances. When the resistances go dwon, I panic xD.

At the end I put the new helmet anyway. Better armor after all ^_^

The Reverend The Reverend

Shadowwalker

• Member ID: 8,524
  • 523 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:42 AM #48 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I believe that the tooltip damage numbers for spells and weapons don't show the percentage bonus increases from things like spellcraft (for spells) and blademaster (for weapons).  They should still add onto the final damage delivered, however.  Given that that helment gives you nice armor as well (and poison/acid don't seem to be a hug problem in this game), I'd use the helmet - getting an extra 4% damage is better than not getting it ...

Earth Empires Earth Empires

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 4,661
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 03:26 PM #49 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

poison/acid attacks against party come quite meaningless after lvl ~20 and lightning attacks stay troublesome, character can get poisoned but damage will be very low and it lasts ~1 turn.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:54 AM #50 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Fifth attempt and still stucked in Drath's chambers.
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 11:25 AM #51 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

posted by randomizer:

first portal room
-- north portal to second portal room
-- east portal to second portal room
-- west portal - back to room
-- hidden switch opens south - NW

second portal room
-- north portal to first portal in hidden switch room
-- east portal to third portal room
-- west portal - back to first room
-- hidden switch opens nothing - NE

third portal room
-- north portal to second portal room
-- east portal to fourth portal room
-- west portal - back to first portal room
-- hidden switch opens nothing - NE

fourth portal room
-- north portal to third portal room
-- east portal fourth portal room
-- west portal to second portal room
-- hidden switch opens south to new area - NE

if you are stuck before 3rd level then say so.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:15 AM #52 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

It's foolish. I simply can't exit Drath Labyrinth. I gave up last game, now I'm here again with a new party and the hell if I can get out. The secret switch even doesn't open the closed secret passage anymore. Notice that I am playing the Remix version of the game, are there known issues with it?
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:26 AM #53 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Could be due remix since you are 1st to report that problem on forums.

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:22 AM #54 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

You might be in the wrong room since two of them have dummy switches and one goes to a rubble blocked path.  I drop food on the ground to mark each room to figure out where I am.

The Almighty Doer of Stuff The Almighty Doer of Stuff

Heart of Avadon

• Member ID: 72
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:54 AM #55 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Do you drop breadcrumbs? :p

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:54 AM #56 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

He has probs getting out not getting to meet Drath (I think).

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:59 AM #57 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

There should be a switch on the north wall in the room you fight Drath that opens the wall to the south.

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 09:48 AM #58 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

@Earth of Empires
Hey, wait a minute! I am inside the labyrinth BEFORE meeting Drath; as you suggested I'm stucked before third level, at the end of second level instructions says I am in first room, where I am, but the title of third level is "third room" (and I'm not there)... damn.
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:09 PM #59 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

*confluzzed*

just for clarification: what is exactly that place you are stucked? portal rooms or before those?

Superba Superba

Tinkermage

• 706 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 01:10 PM #60 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

You know, it's the Labyrinth. When you go down the stairs from lake level. Then there are some demons and a secret switch and the labyrinth begins. There are four chambers. That one there :p
"Loud Shadowalkers?"

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:43 AM #61 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

after you descend to 2nd level walk forward until you reach 4 orange pylons and then click hidden button at top left corner (use u to find it) and then step into portal and you end up on 1st portal room and then it is what I copied earlier posted by Randomizer, 4th room gives you access to path to meet Drath. if you reach him/it and win (kill or not kill) then grab quest object and leave same way as you got there if you want to return later there.

if still lost then post screenshot that we know where you are.

CarbonPot CarbonPot

New Arrival

• Member ID: 10,037
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:17 AM #62 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

The what to do next website seems to be down, is it going back up any time soon?

Heart of Avadon

• 4,211 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 09:38 AM #63 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

View PostCarbonPot, on 21 July 2013 - 06:17 AM, said:

The what to do next website seems to be down, is it going back up any time soon?

no idea but that's somewhat normal with websites related to SW-games, is there something you need?

Randomizer Randomizer

Tormented Battle Mage

• Global Moderator
  • 15,911 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:07 AM #64 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Since there were problems with the Avadon Annotated Maps from the same person it probably needs to be hosted at another location.

Welcome to Spiderweb Software.  Please leave your sanity at the door.  Then you can locate it again when you follow links off site.  :)

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 5,477
  • 2,519 posts
  • LocationThree Sheets to the Wind house, in Sinshan

Posted 21 July 2013 - 10:41 AM #65 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Gah, not again. Well, if anyone knows of another free (or very cheap) web host that will let me use FTP, I'm open to suggestions. Alternatively, if someone wants to upload a backup of the file onto their site, that would be okay too.

CarbonPot,  my host usually fixes whatever problem they're having within a day or so, but if you want to PM me an email account, I can send you the whole WDIDN file. It's not huge.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 04:30 PM #66 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

If you email me, Jerakeen, I'll upload it onto my webspace until you find a proper home for it.

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 05:15 PM #67 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Super, thanks Nikki!

Done.

nikki. nikki.

Humany-Wumany

• Global Moderator
    • Member ID: 2,313
  • 7,448 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 06:33 PM #68 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

And here they are. WDIDN is now here :http://nikkis-nook.h...WDIDNAEFTP.html

And the Avadon Annotated Maps are here: http://nikkis-nook.h...Maps/index.html

Everything seems to be working, but let me know if not. And you really ought to thank Niemand, since it's his space I'm using. :p

Jerakeen Jerakeen

Runcible Pastrytarian

• Global Moderator
  • 2,519 posts

Posted 21 July 2013 - 07:27 PM #69 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

Sweet, and many thanks to Niemand as well! I've added the new links to the original posts. Now hopefully nobody will need to download the editors before Zymic's servers are back up.

Edit: The WDIDN has a new permanent home at keepersofavadon.com.

Edited by Jerakeen, 22 July 2013 - 06:58 PM.

Languorous_Maiar Languorous_Maiar

Mercenary

• Member ID: 9,734
  • 81 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 04:43 PM #70 Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

For delete.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users