Avernum: Escape from the Pit - Strategy Central (**NEED HELP? LOOK HERE FIRST**)

I dont want to nag anyone, but if some of you guys that happened to beat the game on the crazy difficulties (anyone but me), could you post your success on the different builds that are out there. Im not brave enough for torment but i would like to try hard.

I find that with the new trait system there are quite a few different types of characters to make. Just a few are off the top of my head that i would like to find more about on the higher difficulties-

Melee Tank-Hardiness/Pole or melee/parry or dualwield or lethal blow. This would be a typical brute build that either goes with dual wielding or lethal blow depending on preference. Hardiness is a must as is parry. Quick action is good but not as much as the 2nd build.

Melee Swashbuckler-This type is the complete opposite. Instead of strength, dex and endurance. Not that much a difference. Quick action/blademaster, some parry and hardiness and mostlikely dualwielding or lethal blow. I would say that this would be a neat combo build as quick action helps reduce the medium/low disciplines to nearly 1 fatigue at high levels.

I havent played ranged so far as i wanted to try melee (i played ranged in avadon).

My playthrough is completely stucked because the party can't get higher dispel barrier levels. I read here that this ca be improved in Koth liar, but what Koth looks for in exchange of his ward ritual is behind a barrier which the party can't take down. I surely miss something about dispel barriers, otherwise Catch 22 would come to my mind...

The thing Khoth wants is behind a piercing crystal level barrier. The few Empire soldiers guarding it are trivial as long as you don't charge into the room.

The spell book for level 3 Dispel Barrier is behind a series of hidden switch secret rooms that can be explored with TU 8.

Originally Posted By: Superba
I truly don't get the tips. 1) the ruined fort is where what Khoth wants it's supposed to be, isn't it? There's a small barrier and after the barrier a small portion of water. Can't take down the barrier.

The Ruined Fort has clues about where the item has been moved, but you don't need to explore it. The place you want is the Strange Cave over the chasm south of the Giant Castle.

I was too optimistic about going on. Found no Strange Cave south of Giant Castle. Maybe north there's a strange cave meaning it has something to do with strange cloaks (vanhatai) but can't dispel barrier. I also passed Sulfras, entered the "exit" but I have only half password. Have the five brooch but lacks something I can't remember. For each main quest, big demon boss included, there's something missing I can't find: really, I'm stucked.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to update to version 1.01 so I downloaded the file from Spiderweb Software Homepage - News - Avernum: Escape from the Pit Update.

However, before installation I noticed file's name is "AvernumDemo". I purchased the game and obviously wouldn't like to risk to downgrade it.

Is it all right installing this file or I got the wrong one?

• 1 month later...

((I'll delete post if in wrong place.))

So, does this sound a viable group and would you have some input?

1. Melee shield+sword, protection tank.

2. dual-wield/2 handed (2 handed might be better for the lack of skill points needed) +bows dexterity fighter.

3. Priest with, mayhap, some Mage

4. Mage with, mayhap, some Priest

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The outdoor maps will be relatively similar, but the in-game world map provides a similar level of precision if you just need help with geography or navigation. The town and dungeon maps are going to be dramatically inaccurate in some cases. It might be nice to have a more detailed world map created and linked to from this thread, but linking to maps for another game will cause a lot of confusion.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
The outdoor maps will be relatively similar, but the in-game world map provides a similar level of precision if you just need help with geography or navigation. The town and dungeon maps are going to be dramatically inaccurate in some cases. It might be nice to have a more detailed world map created and linked to from this thread, but linking to maps for another game will cause a lot of confusion.

You are right there. Feel free to remove that post if you wish.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm glad to see so much activity in these forums ^_^ I'm playing Avernum eftp right now and I've learned many useful things here.

I have a little doubt, though. The trait "Negotiator", as its explained here, implies that having 4 adds to the total %. Is that so or I just didn't understood it well?

Also, when I "buy" negotiator for one particular character, does that mean that only the character would benefit from the extra 10% when selling? (what I mean is: do I need to switch to that character to sell things with the extra 10%?)

Thank you! And I'm sorry if this is not the correct place to make such inquiries.

I've been through Drath Chambers a lot of times, but this time I'm stucked. I put different objects in each chamber to know where the party is, only this time I forgot which is the trick to reach last chamber... someone here wrote you have to take only the eastern portal several times, but the tip doesn't work, after a while the party arrives always and only in one of the wrong chambers. Help!

Rooms and Portals

first portal room

-- north portal to second portal room

-- east portal to second portal room

-- west portal - back to room

-- hidden switch opens south - NW

second portal room

-- north portal to first portal in hidden switch room

-- east portal to third portal room

-- west portal - back to first room

-- hidden switch opens nothing - NE

third portal room

-- north portal to second portal room

-- east portal to fourth portal room

-- west portal - back to first portal room

-- hidden switch opens nothing - NE

fourth portal room

-- north portal to third portal room

-- east portal fourth portal room

-- west portal to second portal room

-- hidden switch opens south to new area - NE

Mmm... no, maybe there's something wrong with instructions, i.e. when text says the party is in a room with a hidden switch that opens nothing, the party is instead in a room with a secret switch that opens a passage that leads to a path that ends into water.

That is also the last room where they are when instructions end.

I usually have problems with directions, but I believe I paid much attention this fourth time and don't have an explanation for what happens.

Hello again! I have another little doubt; hope anyone can answer me again ^_^

I have maxed out my "Spellcraft" skill with my main mage, but I found a helmet that increases it two points. Now, in the mage skill tab, despite being maxed out, the +2 benefit still seems to apply. Is this for real? Her spells don't seem to benefit at all (every one of them does the same amount of damage, having the helmet or not).

So, the passive benefits from equipment cannot help to surpass the skill limit? The skill part of this guide seems to imply that the +2 really works... but I'm confused since it doen't seem to reflect in the spell damage numbers.

Thanks!

Yeah, extra points from equipment still give you a benefit even above a skill level of 10. You can also buy points from a trainer even after raising a skill to 10, and those extra points will apply too. The reason you're not seeing a clear difference is because 2 points of Spellcraft is a 4% difference in damage, which will be mostly overshadowed by random variation.

I believe that the tooltip damage numbers for spells and weapons don't show the percentage bonus increases from things like spellcraft (for spells) and blademaster (for weapons). They should still add onto the final damage delivered, however. Given that that helment gives you nice armor as well (and poison/acid don't seem to be a hug problem in this game), I'd use the helmet - getting an extra 4% damage is better than not getting it ...