A:EftP - Night and Day?

The poor soul assigned to do the job of cleaning wastes of experimental new animals

Trenton-eye wonders where all the wastes go, I mean with all the goblins, sliths, vhanatai, nephiles, snakes, lizards, and all that, In such a place as avernum, one would say it would need to all be taken to this huge place to be decomposed by wizards. No open air except for the occasional once in a mile smaller than a human can fit through, the smell would build up wouldn't it?

Originally Posted By: Trenton-Eye
I know, I read the thread. I was just asking.

In all the two years that I have been here, I have not seen you make one.

Look harder.

—Alorael, who makes mistakes all the time. Some of them he can obfuscate, cover up, or disguise. Others he bravely ignores and marches on. He doesn't think his mistakes have involved steak before, though, as he usually concerns himself with weightier matters.

In keeping with this topics' title (sort of) I demand that Jeff explain how the fungi glow.

Did Solberg et al. discover a luminescent bacteria in the caves then somehow attach them to fungi.

But then how did they find the fungi; deep caves usually do not support anything more than bacteria.

Solberg must be one crafty bioengineer.

Originally Posted By: VCH
In keeping with this topics' title (sort of) I demand that Jeff explain how the fungi glow.

Did Solberg et al. discover a luminescent bacteria in the caves then somehow attach them to fungi.

But then how did they find the fungi; deep caves usually do not support anything more than bacteria.

This is referenced on numerous occasions in the games.

All references but one or two agree that the glowing fungi were there when the first Exiles were sent down, and that the Vahnatai created them. Erika says that she created them (and maybe somebody else says that; I forget). Given that the glowing fungi exist all over Vahnatai lands, it is pretty clear that Erika didn't actually create them from whole cloth. However, it is certainly possible that she created a _modified version of them_ better suited to their needs to the caves of Exile.

In the original trilogy, Erika was the only powerful human mage who ever talked about dealing with plants, animals, transformations, or alchemy. X picked up a plant habit in the second trilogy, but since we are talking about something that happened several decades before X1, when X probably hadn't even been exiled yet, Erika is the only likely suspect for any fungal adaptations. Not Solberg.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S

This is referenced on numerous occasions in the games.

All references but one or two agree that the glowing fungi were there when the first Exiles were sent down, and that the Vahnatai created them. Erika says that she created them (and maybe somebody else says that; I forget). Given that the glowing fungi exist all over Vahnatai lands, it is pretty clear that Erika didn't actually create them from whole cloth. However, it is certainly possible that she created a _modified version of them_ better suited to their needs to the caves of Exile.

In the original trilogy, Erika was the only powerful human mage who ever talked about dealing with plants, animals, transformations, or alchemy. X picked up a plant habit in the second trilogy, but since we are talking about something that happened several decades before X1, when X probably hadn't even been exiled yet, Erika is the only likely suspect for any fungal adaptations. Not Solberg.

That's true; I had forgotten about Erika.

All references but one or two agree that the glowing fungi were there when the first Exiles were sent down, and that the Vahnatai created them. Erika says that she created them (and maybe somebody else says that; I forget).

Actually, I'm pretty sure one of the other archmages directly says that Erika is lying about that.

Originally Posted By: Lilith

All references but one or two agree that the glowing fungi were there when the first Exiles were sent down, and that the Vahnatai created them. Erika says that she created them (and maybe somebody else says that; I forget).

Actually, I'm pretty sure one of the other archmages directly says that Erika is lying about that.
I seem to recall this as well. I want to say it was Solberg.

You know, I have a disability when it comes to pronouncing names—I pronounce some letters in a name while ignoring and/or adding others.

For example, Erika = Eureka.

I am a terrible fan, lol; but I will say that her real name is actually pretty lame.

The girlfriend and I were talking about something similar to this the other day. We have both read LOTR but since we did it before the movies came out we said the names of people and places MUCH differently then they did in the movies.

This also happens with video games I have noticed when I will talk to people who also play them and we will refer to the same people/places by very different names.

The problem is the lack of certain sounds in English (such as ח or ح which is usually just replaced by 'h') which makes it hard to know what the author meant. That was one of my problems when reading aSoFaI where many names differ from common names by a single letter.

Originally Posted By: eXtremeJeep
We have both read LOTR but since we did it before the movies came out we said the names of people and places MUCH differently than they did in the movies.

also FYT: http://public.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/than.html

Originally Posted By: Erasmus

sigh

I understand that I am wrong, but well...just sigh

Course you could also be reasonable and actually type out A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. instead of aSoFaI. Granted I am only assuming here since I really have no idea what you are talking about.

We get it, your intelligent. Im sure your mother is very proud of you.

I'm pretty sure Patrick did quite a lot to do with the plant life in Avernum.

You know, I have a disability when it comes to pronouncing names—I pronounce some letters in a name while ignoring and/or adding others.

For example, Erika = Eureka.

I am a terrible fan, lol; but I will say that her real name is actually pretty lame.

So you pronounce it Your-eee-kah. That's pretty close to how I've always pronounced her name. I pronounce it like = Eh-Ree-kah with a little rolling Spanish 'r' sound. Makes it sound mystical.

Post #638 cool