Items that are NY

Bushwhacker2k

Are there any actual penalties to taking (stealing) items that are N(ot)Y(ours)?

If someone is aware of your presence it doesn't allow you to take them, and sometimes people die or leave items that still say NY even though they obviously have no intention of retrieving or using them, but is there any actual reason NOT to take them if you can?

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
There is normally no penalty. The significance of the NY mark is, as you said, that you can't pick them up in view of any NPCs.

Normally?

Also that was, if you'll pardon my language, one hell of a fast response.

---

So yeah, when I first entered the game I was wary of taking pretty much any item to the point that it was starting to get annoying because I had no idea if there was any way to differentiate between owned items and whoever-wants-one items.

The NY was helpful though, I figured either there were a lot of items made in New York or it did in fact mean Not Yours.

I was very careful to take almost no NY items, hoping for some kind of achievement or something laugh Guess I know better my second time around.

Pure coincidence on the speed.

Normally meaning that there are sometimes areas in Jeff's games where you can pick up items (often special ones) with no apparent penalty, but the game notes that you took them and it may affect something later. This happened a lot in the early games where a demon would appear when you leave an area, or you'd be cursed with disease, etc. I don't think this is in Avadon, but am not 100% sure I'm not forgetting something.

I don't think there's ever been a case where taking NY items caused penalties. In other games stealing enough and getting caught will bring the wrath of the town down on your head (and can wreck your game if you needed to deal with people in that town). Avadon doesn't let you make friendly characters hostile anymore, so it's mostly a legacy label.

—Alorael, who thinks all the special results of theft were more clearly spelled out in encounters that give you the choice to take things or not. He can only think of one place, in Nethergate, where you can pick up items from chests normally and suffer consequences for it, and those items are not marked Not Yours.

Originally Posted By: Am I not audible?
I don't think there's ever been a case where taking NY items caused penalties. In other games stealing enough and getting caught will bring the wrath of the town down on your head (and can wreck your game if you needed to deal with people in that town). Avadon doesn't let you make friendly characters hostile anymore, so it's mostly a legacy label.

—Alorael, who thinks all the special results of theft were more clearly spelled out in encounters that give you the choice to take things or not. He can only think of one place, in Nethergate, where you can pick up items from chests normally and suffer consequences for it, and those items are not marked Not Yours.

I have no idea what Nethergate is, so I assume that's referring to a game that is not Avadon?

There is one case in Avadon where if you break into someone's room in order to steal their stuff, they'll no longer be willing to trade with you -- the person in question warns you not to break into their room if you talk to them, and a very nasty trap gets set off if you do, so it's hard to do so without knowing about it. Apart from that, there are no real consequences to theft.

As for what you should try after Avadon, that depends on what you liked about Avadon. If you enjoyed the fantasy setting, Avernum may be your thing (but you might consider holding off on a purchase until the new Avernum remake comes out in a few months with an updated engine). If you liked making moral decisions, Geneforge may be for you. Nethergate is kind of the odd one out: you play as a group of Celtic warriors or Roman soldiers in a fantasy version of ancient Britain -- if that description appeals to you, try it out.

In pretty much all cases, the demos give you an accurate idea of what the game is going to be like, and saved games from the demo can be carried over into the full game, so if a game catches your eye feel free to try it out.

Actually, breaking into that room closes off the shop regardless of whether or not you take anything.

—Alorael, who would give Nethergate's demo a chance. If you don't find the antiquated engine painful, it's generally thought to have the strongest plot. Geneforge gives you more choices and more substantial outcomes of those choices than Avadon. Give at least one a try; the first has the shiny new world but the crudest engine, and all of them are about having one character and (maybe) an army of semi-disposable creatures at your disposal.

Sounds good, I was unaware they were remaking Avernum (which, if my info is correct, makes it a remake of a remake, no?).

Geneforge sounds interesting because of the idea of making creatures and I know next to nothing about Nethergate.

I'll dl Geneforge's & Nethergate's demos and I might wait for the Avernum remake (technically exile remake?).

Originally Posted By: Bushwhacker2k
Sounds good, I was unaware they were remaking Avernum (which, if my info is correct, makes it a remake of a remake, no?).

That's right. Avernum has been Spiderweb's flagship series and its best moneymaker, and the older Avernum games are already getting to the point where they have difficulty running on newer computers, so Jeff's decided that it's come to a point where a re-remake makes sense.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: Bushwhacker2k

That's right. Avernum has been Spiderweb's flagship series and its best moneymaker, and the older Avernum games are already getting to the point where they have difficulty running on newer computers, so Jeff's decided that it's come to a point where a re-remake makes sense.

I see shocked

Well if it gets released on Steam as well then I'm going to start really building a collection. Getting Geneforge Pentalogy atm laugh