I highly recommend this game.

I rarely post, however, after playing N/R for the past week, I feel compelled to write about this stunning little game.

I'm a huge fan of the first Avernum Trilogy. I love the setting, the graphics, and particularly, the engine. I've always found it to be conducive to fast, efficient gameplay, and I prefer it to the second Trilogy's engine, although I have played and enjoyed those games also.

So, given that N/R uses the BOA engine, I'm not sure why I never tried the game earlier, however, I'm extremely pleased that I did.

Playing a party of three as the Romans, without magic, it's a completely new gaming experience. I'm having to rely on tactics that I never gave a thought to in the Avernum series. Being limited to First Aid and Healing Potions means that I have to be extremely cautious and reserved in my encounters. I'm finding that I often have to retreat, strategically space my characters, weaken the enemy with Missile Weapons, before I can engage in Melee. I've found that the smallest differences in skill point allocation can either make or break a battle. It requires thought and patience, and it's very challenging, and I'm loving it.

I adore the Avernum games, but this title is taxing me far more than they ever did.

The setting is fantastic also. If you're like me and you spend a certain amount of time sussing suitable names for your characters, imagining their backgrounds, SLOWLY reading the conversations with NPC's, taking breaks to ponder and piece together the story, you'll love this. A captivating fiction interspersed with snippets of Roman history, inspiring me to play my part as a true Roman citizen.

There's my brief testimonial. If you haven't played this game, I strongly recommend you give it a go. I feel that it's easy to overlook, seeing as it's not part of an established Trilogy/Quintilogy etc. But it's awesome, and I doubt you'll regret it. I can't think of a single thing wrong with it, other than the fact that, like all Spiderweb games, it's obsessively addictive.

Enjoy.

You won't get much disagreement on Spiderweb. Nethergate is a gem, and it has both the deepest background (some help from reality) and the most detailed story.

If you haven't played as Celts yet, give it a try. One of my favorite parts of the game is the interplay between the two sides of the story. It also helps when you've already played the other side and know exactly who those counterparts you hate so much are.

—Alorael, who is impressed by your playing dutiful, non-magical Romans. His parties always end up with a bit of druidry thrown in. His tendency to go native probably isn't appreciated by his superiors, but results are what count.

Tolkien is probably less to blame for Mage v Priest than ANY other fantasy author. That is not an exaggeration: priests do not exist literally anywhere in his works, and characters who are able to do anything remotely resembling spellcasting are very rare, and never mortal.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Tolkien is probably less to blame for Mage v Priest than ANY other fantasy author. That is not an exaggeration: priests do not exist literally anywhere in his works, and characters who are able to do anything remotely resembling spellcasting are very rare, and never mortal.
Yeah, that was my point.

Originally Posted By: Ishad Nha
Certainly in the Middle Earth campaign system by Iron Crown Enterprises, the only serious spellcasters are Animists (Priests) and Mages. Though this may just be a lame rip-off of Dungeons and Dragons.
Rangers and Bards have a few spells. Fighters and Scouts have none.
Yeah, they certainly didn't get that from Tolkien's books.

Remake uses the Blades of Avernum engine. It is basically a port of the original to the BoA engine, much like porting a Blades of Exile scenario to the BoA world. Only easier to do because original Nethergate already had overhead oblique graphics. Nethergate: Resurrection is a bit like BoA, more than I care for, but it is still quite good.

@Alorael

In preparation, I perused the entire forum, and the reverence you guys have for the game, particularly N/O, did not escape me. By posting, I hope that the game and it's well deserved respect will be appreciated and understood by a few others.

You're quite right, results are what count, and magic certainly facilitates this end. However, being free of the compulsion to precede every fight with a flurry of bless, haste, hot key combinations, I'm finding it very liberating.

• 6 months later...
Originally Posted By: Silterethene
@Alorael

In preparation, I perused the entire forum, and the reverence you guys have for the game, particularly N/O, did not escape me. By posting, I hope that the game and it's well deserved respect will be appreciated and understood by a few others.

Well I am sure you've convinced me and a lot of people all right!