Are your tubes filled?

Radix Malorum Est Cupiditas

Yesterday I had ten videos downloading at once. Today I've got a single, lonely window open in Safari. My internet connection has been dropping painfully frequently, but it seems to do it less often when I place heavy demands on it, oddly.

—Alorael, whose videos were all legal. They were also all boring but necessary.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: The (Armored) Ratt
I just have to say, Rowen how does your internet achieve a 26Mb/s down speed and a 1Mb/s up speed?

many ISPs cap uploads on residential plans to stop people from running servers on them

This exactly. 1 up is standard for residential with road runner/time warner. I can get faster up speeds but that means paying a more money. I don't use the up speeds much anyways so I don't care.

Thanks to construction workers not once but twice cutting the optical cables to my apartment complex, my internet connection is now a factor of more than six slower than it was two months ago. Interestingly, my upload speed comes out substantially higher than the download speed (15 Mb/s down, 21 Mb/s up).

EDIT: I find that, depending on the server, I get upload speed measurements as high as 44 Mb/s, and download speeds as high as 24 Mb/s. These test seem to be dominated by differences in network details and topology far away, and apparently the local replacement hardware isn't necessarily as bad as I had thought.

Originally Posted By: Give me hosting or give me death
Originally Posted By: Karoka
I coulda sworn I had Comcast...
They probably merged at some point or something like that...
Nope, Verizon and Comcast are two separate companies.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
EDIT: I find that, depending on the server, I get upload speed measurements as high as 44 Mb/s, and download speeds as high as 24 Mb/s. These test seem to be dominated by differences in network details and topology far away, and apparently the local replacement hardware isn't necessarily as bad as I had thought.
Yeah, I'm getting somewhat different results, too. I did some playing around, and here's what I got on some of the tests:
Click to reveal..
1557623607.png1557630173.png1557629247.png1557634449.png1557636551.png1557639402.png1557640933.png

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Yeah, I'm getting somewhat different results, too. I did some playing around, and here's what I got on some of the tests:
Click to reveal..
1557623607.png1557630173.png1557629247.png1557634449.png1557636551.png1557639402.png1557640933.png
Speaking as someone who works in consumer technical support for a major ISP, I can definitely say that these speeds are not really varying all that much. You can see variances like this even with the same server.

Originally Posted By: Lilith
Originally Posted By: The (Armored) Ratt
I just have to say, Rowen how does your internet achieve a 26Mb/s down speed and a 1Mb/s up speed?

many ISPs cap uploads on residential plans to stop people from running servers on them

On ADSL, it's more of a technical limitation than a deliberate cap, since upstream and downstream traffic runs on different frequency bands. The upstream bandwidth is lower to allow a greater downstream rate (some ISPs allow you to adjust that ratio).

Though many ISPs do want to prevent customers from running servers, and also use stuff like firewalls and NAT to accomplish this. Using my home computer as a personal cloud server, I'm worried that NAT might become more frequent when addresses run out and providers still don't want to go with IPv6.

1558581564.png

I finally remembered to run a test when I wasn't using bandwidth-hungry work apps. It's interesting that it still detects my ISP as Embarq. It's been over two years since CenturyTel and Embarq merged to become CenturyLink.

Aran is absolutely right about ADSL. If downstream and upstream were equal, the best you could get out of a single phone line is about 6-7Mbps, and that is in perfect conditions. Most consumers do not need high upstream bandwidth, so it makes more since to provision customers at something like 10Mbps down and 1Mbps up. They're doing fancy things with DSL these days though. Bonded ADSL (like my connection) uses two phone lines for twice the bandwidth. VDSL (also known as fiber to the node) is the future though. Data is sent via fiber to the terminal in the neighborhood and then sent via copper wire to the unit. Using this, you can theoretically get 100Mbps up and down. No ISP that I know of actually offers those kinds of speeds though.

Originally Posted By: like the aphex twins in here
I plan on switching to a different ISP (probably BT; Micawber, any reason why I shouldn't?)

They're not the cheapest, especially the "unlimited" option which is what I have (yes, it's actually limited if you read the small print). The good thing is if you get the BT phoneline you can shop around for broadband from other ISPs anyway. Personally though I have used them forever for the simple reason I signed up in 1998 and don't want to change my email address. It's been reliable, I will say that.

Originally Posted By: Micawber
Originally Posted By: like the aphex twins in here
I plan on switching to a different ISP (probably BT; Micawber, any reason why I shouldn't?)

They're not the cheapest, especially the "unlimited" option which is what I have (yes, it's actually limited if you read the small print). The good thing is if you get the BT phoneline you can shop around for broadband from other ISPs anyway. Personally though I have used them forever for the simple reason I signed up in 1998 and don't want to change my email address. It's been reliable, I will say that.

Well, I pay a ridiculous amount for the service I'm getting anyway, and my sister went with the unlimited package for much less than I pay, and speeds three times as fast.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking the thread now.

Originally Posted By: Kelandon
1559332606.png
I assume that's the fastest my Mac Mini can process data, not the fastest that my network can send/receive it.
Even the original Mac Mini supports 54Mbps wireless and 100Mbps wired. Current models support 150Mbps wireless and 1Gbps wired, so that is not it.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
1559332606.png
I assume that's the fastest my Mac Mini can process data, not the fastest that my network can send/receive it.
Even the original Mac Mini supports 54Mbps wireless and 100Mbps wired. Current models support 150Mbps wireless and 1Gbps wired, so that is not it.

Is this not in any way limited by resources available (processor speed, memory, etc.)? Those are theoretical upper limits on one part of the machine, yes, but aren't there other internal things that keep it from reaching that theoretical upper limit?

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
1559332606.png

Is this not in any way limited by resources available (processor speed, memory, etc.)? Those are theoretical upper limits on one part of the machine, yes, but aren't there other internal things that keep it from reaching that theoretical upper limit?
You might have problems reaching the 1Gbps speed, but all of the others should be attainable.

Well, I absolutely must check mine now.

1565514243.png

Yeah, looks about right. Not sure why the upload is that much higher, but the limit on download is as expected. VVO, the company that owns the building I live in, often offer free internet in their buildings. Not a whole of lot speed in it, but it's never bothered me. Everything works reasonably fast as far as I ever need anything and it's not like I'm going to say no to free internet. It wouldn't cost a lot to upgrade, but... meh.

That, you see, is the value of a college education.

—Alorael, who thinks better internet speed is often a perk of living in groups. Universities are an extreme case, but even in an apartment a larger number of housemates can pay less for much better service divided more ways. Except for the rare occasions when everyone is using bandwidth heavily at the same time, whoever needs a quick download gets a very quick download.

Originally Posted By: Demesnes and Demands
—Alorael, who also now wins for distance. Of course, if it were a contest he could have done better at picking the farthest possible location.
Not bad. However, I didn't want to brag before, but if we're going for distance, I think I've long since won. Click on the spoiler text.

EDIT:

Correction: I just checked, and apparently, I can go just a little bit farther.
1568176437.png

Originally Posted By: Am I not audible?
Happy birthday!
Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Am I not audible?
—Alorael, who now wants to know if you can try the server in Detroit but send and receive all data by way of Perth. How many times can you make it loop the globe? And how would Uplink say that would affect your hacking?
Good question. I don't know how to do that, but for those who do, it might be fun trying.

Also, I'm curious if anyone can beat me for distance, because technically the other side of the world form me is in the southern Indian Ocean, about 1200 miles SW of Perth. If someone had a landmass on the opposite side of the globe from them, it might be possible. It wouldn't beat me by much, though; Earth's circumference is approximately 24,900 miles, so the maximum possible distance would be just over 12,400 miles.