Beechford

Beechford

Mac/Windows

Author: MHaensel

Rating:

Difficulty:

Version: 1.3

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IkJlZWNoZm9yZCIsInRpZCI6IjE2MTA2IiwidGFncyI6W10sImJnYXNwIjp7IjUiOjAsIjQiOjAsIjMiOjAsIjIiOjIsIjEiOjF9fQ==]

Composite Score: 1.7/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/3)

Good: 0.00% (0/3)

Average: 0.00% (0/3)

Substandard: 66.67% (2/3)

Poor: 33.33% (1/3)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords:

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

• 1 month later...

Beechford was a good beginner's scenario, but it did have it's flaws, like not enough outdoor detail, being able to sail off the map, and an error in

Lightmeade after it was attacked.

I'm kind of tied between Substandard and Average, but I guess I give this a [rating]Substandard[/rating].

• 3 months later...

A small scenario with a simple mission. Easy to play too.

Some of the interiors are done well (I liked the city), but there isn't enough substance to justify the scenario size. Most of the outdoors are just plain wandering - a few descriptions or wandering monsters would have been nice.

The conversations are good (some of them are very amusing) and without typos. But it would have been better if they were more descriptive. And there's a tiny flaw in implementing the dialogue system : there isn't any text to show when you talk to a character for the second time (not that it matters, just pointed it out). Also, the way the story flows doesn't make much sense, it needs a bit more of finishing touches.

What I liked most was you can talk to almost anybody in the scenario. Most of them don't say much, but they all have a unique name, and you don't get any of the regular 'It doesn't respond's or some similar static message. This is a definite plus.

Judging by the notes included alongside (in the folder of the Windows version), this scenario wasn't all that it should have been, and MHaensel hasn't utilised his full potential.Its as if he lost interest halfway through as he didn't implement all of his ideas. Even the conversations weren't fully inserted. That said, the notes were better than the scenario itself, and I would be happy to try out any of his future works.

Overall, this isn't the greatest of scenarios, but then I don't regret playing it. And as for the rating, hm I'll give it a [rating]Substandard[/rating].

• 2 months later...

Short scenario. It's a shoddy first effort, but it was actually charming up until the incredibly creepy dialogue with the blacksmith and the curvacious tavern patron. I can't tell whether or not it was intended to be humorous, but I sincerely hope it was.

The hunt for the book itself is short and ultimately unrewarding. I was expecting some sort of encounter with The Guardian after he destroys the town of Lightmeade for seemingly no reason, but he simply asks for the book in exchange for a powerful shield. It's better to accept his offer, because you get absolutely nothing for returning the book to the Empire.

The scenario is actually unbeatable due to an overlong string error. I had to alter the scripts to enable victory.

Honestly, this scenario could have had potential with some more polish, less creepy dialogue, and, at the very least, an appropriate encounter with the villain. I don't like rating scenarios poorly, but I'd really have liked to see some more effort. Designing scenarios takes time. If you don't put that effort in, then what's the point of having people play it?

[rating]Poor[/rating]

• 8 years later...

Narrative Design: Minimal

Setting Design: Minimal

Encounter Design: Minimal

Technical Design: Includes game-breaking bug!

Summation: I don't want to hate this scenario.  And I don't.  Really.  It clearly was a first effort by a designer not used to the role, which makes me want to give it some leeway.  It's short.  It's very simple.  It's quirky in some places, for good or for ill.  But there just isn't much here to play, and what is here is only superficially amusing.

Rating: Poor