A few questions

Over the past month I have been testing various stats in Avernum 1 to see how they affect damage. I will probably post what I have learned in the next few days, but before I do, I have a few questions.

1. Does anyone know if armor reduces spell damage in Avernum 1? While I was testing spells I noticed some odd damage ranges; if armor does block magic or elemental damage it would certainly make sense of my numbers.

2. On a related note, do spells in Avernums 1-3 receive a flat bonus from stats, or is it based on a multiplier like in the later games? For example, the help file says Bolt of Fire does 3-12+Bonus/2 in Avernum 1, but in Avernum 5 its 10+1d3*Bonus. I'm assuming Avernum 1 spells get a flat bonus, but I suppose it's possible that Jeff left the multiplier out of the help file.

Important note: if you have a newer version of Windows and can't open the help files for Avernum 1 and 2, you can download an update from Microsoft to make it compatible (just search for WinHlp32.exe). I wasted a week testing the spell damage ranges because I didn't know that.

3. When I post my findings, would you like me to include my data or just my conclusions, and if so, how much of it? Is there anything specific you would like me to include, like statistical tests? I should warn you that it's pretty extensive since I've covered all the melee and ranged damage skills, defense, hardiness, and the magic skills.

1. Yes. I believe it adds half the armor value to resistance, but don't quote me on that.

2. I'm not sure if this has been tested, but the belief, based on the hope that the documentation isn't full of lies (sometimes a vain hope with Spiderweb) is that the formulas really are different. You'll notice that in the newer game the bonus provides the randomization, making spells function like weapons, while in the original trilogy the base damage is itself randomized.

3. Post everything! You can break it up with spoiler tags so the less math savvy can skip to the conclusions and the number crunchers can recrunch the numbers and see if they agree.

—Alorael, who would be interested in seeing raw data and statistical analysis. Often just the raw numbers show that the common wisdom is obviously wrong, but it would be nice to have math backing up what's actually right.

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of moving onto Avernum 2, I have begun testing the defensive stats and traits of Avernum and come up with more questions.

1. Does anyone actually know what Completely Inept does in any of the Avernum games, besides decrease fire resistance? I've been referring to the Nethergate trait effects, but I don't think they all work exactly the same way in Avernum. Despite what the guides say, it does not give a little of each negative trait.

2. On that same note, the only effect for Cursed at Birth that I noticed was a lower chance to hit. Do any of you have an idea of what else it might do?

3. What about Divinely Touched, does it actually do anything A2 or A3? I know it has different effects in the first games than in A4-6. Like Inept, it does not add a little of every trait.

4. Should I test Luck on anything besides resistances and preventing death?

I'm sorry I can't give you any exact details on any of your questions. What I can say with certainty though, is that the traits change from game to game, sometimes a little, sometimes alot. Divinely Touched is really good in A3 if I recall correctly, giving you all sorts of bonusses every couple of levels, comparable to how Slithness works.