A:EftP - Hypothetical Feature: Codex

One thing I wouldn't mind is if the great "artifacts" were entered into such a codex, thus preserving the more meaningful descriptions while not having to bugger with the item interface.

It could also give more depth to the bestiary I think. One of the things I thought was nice about Avadon was how they actually gave an explanation to what "Dire" creatures were and where they came from. Sure, a lot of Avernum's enemies are fairly standard and don't really need an explanation, but I don't think it could hurt.

I'd like to say "like Avadon" for the sake of avoiding such a blatant reference, but... well, even Avadon couldn't be buggered to change the name of the system, so sure, why not? Like Dragon Age then.

... And, honestly, I don't think Avadon really did get into the history or descriptions of any major artifacts, so it technically would be more like Dragon Age.

As a worldbuilding fetishist, pretty much everything, really. Though as a player I admit that bestiaries are more relevant than extensive treatises on Imperial and Avernite history.

Yet that information does not need to be organized in a codex. Part of the fun in all the games, for me, were the small tidbits of lore that could be found in dialogue or inscriptions. The more of it, the better.

(I'm acutely aware that whenever Jeff releases a new Avernum game, a ton of fan-built stuff gets Jossed. The Encyclopedia Ermariana was once a mix of Exile, Avernum, Desp Arena and Wild Mass Guessing. Slartucker made an admirable and epic effort to categorize all of this and clean the various canons - but the Encyclopedia is still stuck somewhere at Avernum 4, in part because the Literary Agent Hypothesis makes it an in-universe compendium written soon after the events of Avernum 3. However, I'm okay with fan theories being scrapped if it means shedding new light on some stuff.)

[On re-reading the above, I realize I have been spending far too much time at the site that shall not be named.]

At what point do those working on the Encyclopedia pass the Despair Event Horizon?

On a more substantive note: agreed on the worldbuilding fetish. I think codices have advantages over exposition in dialogue: specifically, they can give extended treatments of subjects, which usually sound really clunky in dialogue. 'Common Mistakes' lists for SF and fantasy often include the tendency of characters (other than perhaps history professors, who get a pass) to give lectures on their settings to bring the player/reader up to speed.

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Note that one thing I'm apprehensive about is the ever-present possibility that in the process of building canon, Jeff will one day put a name to the world, and the name won't be Ermarian. Would invalidate over a decade of fanon in one swoop.

Would it invalidate it though? Why?

I mean, if he changed the name of the cavern system, for example, does that invalidate all the canon (and fanon) that has been hammered out before? If he decides to call Ermarian "Tiny Planet 83", does that somehow mean that, for example, this suddenly become completely wrong?

Firstly:

Quote:
This is a piece of clothing, generally worn below the waist.

Forgetting to wear one's pants is generally disapproved of in most social circles.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the expanded info in E3 was the depth that it brought to the world. Descriptors on weapons brought substance and differentiation to the rapiers and broadswords that shared the same icon. Likewise, in-world descriptions of common items (books immediately come to mind) emphasized the reality that the world of The Pit is not as similar to our everyday lives as appearances and romanticism would suggest.

Jeff discussed a lot of this lore through pop-ups in A4 and A5, but it was never quite the same as the one-click reveal that "Oh... I suppose I should equip the pants."

Secondly:

Quote:
...but it'd still mean rewriting a lot of stuff.

I think that any such major canonical revelations would bring a sufficient number of members over to do the work.

The Silent Assassin knows where his pants have been.

Or at least, he thinks he knows.

Originally Posted By: Lenar Labs™
Firstly:
Quote:
This is a piece of clothing, generally worn below the waist.
Forgetting to wear one's pants is generally disapproved of in most social circles.

One of the things I enjoyed most about the expanded info in E3 was the depth that it brought to the world. Descriptors on weapons brought substance and differentiation to the rapiers and broadswords that shared the same icon. Likewise, in-world descriptions of common items (books immediately come to mind) emphasized the reality that the world of The Pit is not as similar to our everyday lives as appearances and romanticism would suggest.
Jeff discussed a lot of this lore through pop-ups in A4 and A5, but it was never quite the same as the one-click reveal that "Oh... I suppose I should equip the pants."

I often lament the loss of item descriptions in many modern games. It's bad enough when a company like Bioware does it, but... Spiderweb's games are founded on the writing, by and large, and Jeff really, REALLY can't get away with relying purely on the graphics to get his point across...

Originally Posted By: Arancaytrus
Heh. tongue I suppose if it came to it, we could rename it to the Encyclopedia [...]a, do s/Ermarian/[...]/g on all articles and just keep it where it is. It wouldn't completely invalidate everything, but it'd still mean rewriting a lot of stuff.

(Hilariously, the French Wikipedia actually refers to Ermarian and Alxus - and the history thereof - as though it were canon.)

And yeah, item descriptions were very nice. I particularly liked the ones for sticks and stones. And the books in E3! Oh dear, those were awesome. "Everyone has thought, at some time in their lives, 'That person over there needs killing!' Well, don't just back away! This book can show you how to make those dreams come horribly true." and "The bizarre, tentacled squirreloid creature pursued close behind, panting and tingling. 'Soon, wild maiden!' he cried. 'Soon, you will be MINE!' |(It continues in this vein for a long, long time.)"