DOOM

AethirWeb

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Trenton
Ok thats a rather disturbing thought. I cant imagine anything splitting in two.

Then how do you split the last cookie in the jar/bag/wherever with a friend, if you don't split it in half? I sure hope you don't start eating on opposite ends, because that sounds really awkward. tongue

[Edit: Okay, that image was a lot bigger than I thought it was.]

And Karoka, Dikiyoba knows you meant it as a joke, but that was quite an offensive comment.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, shaper servile.
Ok thats a rather disturbing thought. I cant imagine anything splitting in two.

*now has the thought of a human splitting from the groin up to the head with strands between them before they snap, and a shell like substance starts covering the halves as the organs reform* I almost threw up there, great job.

Technically speaking, everyone starts off as 1 cell splitting into two cells, then four, so on and so forth.

Originally Posted By: Master1
As in other languages, the masculine is often the default, and can be used if the gender is unknown. (...) Technically, before our GNPs were around, one would say "his or her books" to be "politically correct."

the problem with both of those approaches is neither of them works very well when you're talking about a specific person rather than a hypothetical one

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Karoka
Oh, I meant it as a response to Tyran. Sorry, I guess I'll go fix that now...

I meant the reproduce comment, sorry.

(Dikiyoba had some connection troubles and it took about twenty minutes to get that post through.)
...oh.

On a happier note, my mail has my last name spelled wrong!

Originally Posted By: dikiyoba
Then how do you split the last cookie in the jar/bag/wherever with a friend, if you don't split it in half? I sure hope you don't start eating on opposite ends, because that sounds really awkward

Well I wouldn't really mind going from opposite ends if it was a girl.

DIKIYOBA! you got your green fyora avatar back! I liked that much better >.>

Originally Posted By: dikiyoba
Then how do you split the last cookie in the jar/bag/wherever with a friend, if you don't split it in half? I sure hope you don't start eating on opposite ends, because that sounds really awkward

Well I wouldn't really mind going from opposite ends if it was a girl.
Don't get me started on pasta.
Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, shaper servile
DIKIYOBA! you got your green fyora avatar back! I liked that much better >.>
"But think of the epileptic kittens!"-Dikiyoba's title that changed to something else in less than a month.

Originally Posted By: Tyranicus
While technically grammatically incorrect, you usually can't go wrong with "they."

The use of they/them/their as a gender-neutral singular pronoun is several hundred years old, so even prescriptivists don't have much of a case that it's "technically incorrect."

Originally Posted By: Sarachim
While technically grammatically incorrect, you usually can't go wrong with "they."

The use of they/them/their as a gender-neutral singular pronoun is several hundred years old, so even prescriptivists don't have much of a case that it's "technically incorrect."
All I know is that I had teachers who would dock points for using it that way in high school

Prescriptivists will sometimes claim "this is how it's always been" but that is always a lie, though one they probably believe themselves. The whole point of prescriptivism is that the correct usage is the one that is prescribed, whether or not that's the one that most people actually use. So to ascertain what is "technically correct" from a prescriptivist point of view, both historical and contemporary usage are totally irrelevant.

Equally awkward, as least to my aged brain, is the tranposition of the word 'person' to replace 'man'. e.g.

Chairman becomes Chairperson

Congressman becomes Congressperson

How about Firmen, Policemen.

Actually, the first two examples are not that bothersome, but this could progress to some degree of silliness.

Thats me, I can run around the room like crazy...If I didnt weigh 214 pounds. And I cant listan to people, like I say what all the time.

Wait. Wait wait wait. You weigh 214 pounds? That's not a joke or a typo? How tall are you?

If you want to live a full active life, you need to lose weight. If you don't lose weight, you will die very early.

As to a gender-neutral form of fireman, I don't think I have ever heard one.

Firefighter.

Quote:
"It" truly is an insult and is used as such.

Actually, I know people who prefer "it" as their pronoun of choice. It all depends on how you use it, which is why GN pronouns get so complicated so fast.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Just be glad we don't have to use Latin, with all its declensions and conjugations.

Honestly, Latin is one of the simplest and least irregular languages I can think of. English, on the other hand, is widely considered to have one of the most difficult syntaxes to become fluent in.

As to a gender-neutral form of fireman, I don't think I have ever heard one.

Firefighter.
Good call. I had forgotten that one.

Actually, I know people who prefer "it" as their pronoun of choice. It all depends on how you use it, which is why GN pronouns get so complicated so fast.
I guess the important question is whether you personally find "they" to be offensive.

to tell you the truth, i found the whole idea of gender neutrality offensive.

i can understand the fact that most terms originally only meant men and that women are now in these jobs (mail carrier, fire fighter, police officer)and terms changed to reflect this reality, but to simply abolish the words he and she is just gender avoidance and going waay overboard.

Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
to tell you the truth, i found the whole idea of gender neutrality offensive.
i can understand the fact that most terms originally only meant men and that women are now in these jobs (mail carrier, fire fighter, police officer)and terms changed to reflect this reality, but to simply abolish the words he and she is just gender avoidance and going waay overboard.
When referring to someone who identifies as male or female, then you can absolutely use he or she. I don't believe anyone disputes this. The problem is when you do not know someone's gender, or when they do not identify themselves as part of the traditional gender binary.

I have, but it's hard to take seriously a proposal to overhaul something as basic as pronouns. Good luck getting that to happen without a transition like the one from Middle to Modern English.

—Alorael, who has been annoyed by people who insist on using gender-neutral pronouns for everyone. He can understand not wanting to force a gender on someone, but he identifies as male and what like others to identify him that way as well.

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
Originally Posted By: Cairo Jim
The only problem I can see with using "they" is that it sounds more like its referring to group more than it does a single person.

That can change over time. For instance, you nowadays can refer to a group of people or to just a single person.

actually when he said that it sounds like a group he meant now

changing over time is something that people might wish happens but it is not in common usage yet

Originally Posted By: Darth Ernie
actually when he said that it sounds like a group he meant now

changing over time is something that people might wish happens but it is not in common usage yet

I am aware of the fact that Cairo Jim was referring to the present. I believe that, with consistent usage, "they" in the singular can be widely accepted as in the vogue within a generation. It may sound weird to us, even for some time, but it will be as normal as "Googling" is to us now.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
Originally Posted By: Harehunter
Just be glad we don't have to use Latin, with all its declensions and conjugations.

Honestly, Latin is one of the simplest and least irregular languages I can think of. English, on the other hand, is widely considered to have one of the most difficult syntaxes to become fluent in.

The main problem with English is that it has become a melange of many lexical and syntactical elements. Pronunciation of words is particularly difficult as there has been no standard as to whether to keep the original spelling and change the pronunciation, or to keep the original pronunciation and change the spelling. Add to that the complex rules for conjugation of verbs, included a rather large set of irregular verbs that follow no particular rule. And the vocabulary is blend of Old English, based in part on the germanic tribes of Angles and Saxons and part of the Celtish dialects, blended with french from the conquering Normans, and sprinkled liberally with words from Latin and Greek for the generation of many new terms. Blend in a healthy dose of Spanish, absorb many of the words of the native Americans, pop it into a baking dish and oh my what a mess. And this is just the abbreviated recipe.

It doesn't really do that, though. English grammar hasn't changed significantly in a long time, and owes bits to relatives of Old French and nothing, really, to Latin or Greek, let alone Spanish or any other languages that English acquires words from. But the word-acquiring works in all directions, all languages do that, and indeed English probably provides other languages with vastly more loan-words than it receives.

Originally Posted By: HOUSE of S
It doesn't really do that, though. English grammar hasn't changed significantly in a long time, and owes bits to relatives of Old French and nothing, really, to Latin or Greek, let alone Spanish or any other languages that English acquires words from. But the word-acquiring works in all directions, all languages do that, and indeed English probably provides other languages with vastly more loan-words than it receives.

So other languages have a trade imbalance with English? Sweet! That makes us like the China of linguistics!