A:EftP - New Races Ever?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping for a race of humanoid dog-people to keep the Nephilim population in check. tongue

Quote:

Would be great if Blades got remade to but I recall Jeff saying that would be highly unlikely frown

After Jeff has the engine and graphics all put together from the original trilogy remakes, I wonder how difficult a BoA remake would actually be to put together. How long did it take to make the original BoA?

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
Originally Posted By: Excalibur
Your guys' parties sound like evolutionary nightmares.

Just sayin' wink

even infernals and drakes/dtagons parties?

Let's just say they're silicon based organisms from another plane. The only problem is that a single Si-Si bond has a bond energy of 52 kcal/mol whereas a single C-C bond has a bond energy of 83 kcal/mol. So you'd think all of that heat would wreak havoc internally, but evolution goes way out of whack when supernatural forces are involved.

They're self-conscious of their highly unlikely carbon-lacking chemistry, too. Just mention it snidely in a conversation. Few people know it, but demons and dragonkin will respond very strongly to this kind of taunting.

Eh, that's all assuming that basic chemistry and physics functions in Avernum at all beyond the rudimentary surface we see. For as often as the laws of... everything take a back seat to magic, I'd be willing to bet that magic exists and thrives because those laws are fundamentally different than the ones we get stuck with here.

In a world where Occam's Razor translates to, "A wizard did it," in all situations, science is a fat guy without any clothing.

Listen, we already have the vahnatai, and thats as close as alien I want to get. Do you think that the outer aliens would join our cause as the vahnatai did? I would think they would see the empire first before exile...Do to us being under them.

Oh, and about the playable black widow thing, I was really thinking more along the lines of it riding on your shoulder or something.

I saw an alien ship(s?) when I was taking out the trash last night. It was like these seven dots in the sky. The one in front was blinking red, and the others were blinking blue. Anyway, there should be like this human-tarantula hybrid monster, and then you could play as him. Only you have to start in a lab because the Empire thought you were neat.

What? You get a chocolate cake? All I ever get is a free hug and crippling punches. frown

EDIT:

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile
Karoka, the laws of physics can not be broken.
If anything got near the sun's corona, they would melt before they got there. Didn't stop the

Click to reveal..
Pilot: "Where to next?"

Captain: "Hmmm, let's go to that star!"

Pilot: "But wouldn't we melt?"

Captain: "Nonsense!" *click* "Our chances of utterly melting when we get near is decreased by one percent."

Pilot: "...I hate my job."

Originally Posted By: Karoka
If anything got near the sun's corona, they would melt before they got there. Didn't stop the aliens.

Thats not breaking physics...It went around the sun, not straight in, so if the aliens from ANOTHER PLANET that may have STRONGER METALS and are LIGHT YEARS ahead in technology and are CRAZY enough to orbit a sun at close range...

EDIT: woulps, didnt mean to make a second post, was trying to make it an edit.

Originally Posted By: Trenton
Thats not breaking physics...It went around the sun, not straight in, so if the aliens from ANOTHER PLANET that may have STRONGER METALS and are LIGHT YEARS ahead in technology and are CRAZY enough to orbit a sun at close range...

Aliens are immune to physics in the same way that you are immune to jokes.

Dikiyoba.

if your accurate observations conflict with your ideas of the laws of physics it means your ideas of the laws of physics are wrong

our current conceptions of the laws of physics do not fully and accurately describe how the universe actually works (although they come pretty close for most practical purposes), but science operates under the assumption that there is some set of laws that will

Originally Posted By: Jukai
Or it means that these laws break down under certain circumstances which cannot be duplicated on the macro-level.

if the laws of physics "break down" in specific ways under specific cirumstances, then in principle there should be some way to predict when and how they "break down"; that method of prediction would be part of the laws of physics

whatever way the universe actually works, that's what the laws of physics are. if our current descriptions of the universe break down at some point, then our current descriptions of the universe are not the laws of physics -- at best, they're just our closest current approximation to the laws of physics.

Quote:
Or it means that these laws break down under certain circumstances which cannot be duplicated on the macro-level.

Aside from the attention grabbing headline, all your above link says is that the discovery implies new laws are needed. The fundamental notion of science is that are rules that allow us to predict the behavior of observable phenomena. These need not even be deterministic, and only need to assign measurable likelihoods (probabilities) of events occurring given a set of circumstances.

It's an interesting question whether anything can be truly outside the laws of physics. I suppose if there were some phenomenon that were absolutely unpredictable, even in a probabilistic sense, then that would apply. However, proving that something is totally unpredictable is not possible because one can always argue that we are just ignorant of something far more fundamental that we have yet to conceptualize or measure.

From a theoretical point of view, I suppose it is not inconceivable that there would be certain exotic regimes (singularities of black holes) where things could be entirely unpredictable such that it would not totally violate our daily lives. It would still be within the laws of physics to demonstrate where the boundaries between the predictable and unpredictable are; however, once again, we are back to the impossibility of ever proving total unpredictability, so it's a silly point to make anyway.