Singletons

Hello,

while i'm veteran Avernum and Geneforge series player, i've never played Nethergate before.

Out of fun i'd like to start with single character only (never tried it in Avernum), but unfortunately don't have time anymore to replay it couple times to test different skilling ways.

So, can someone please recommend me on which skills to focus to make most out of game. Also, i really like power gaming, so on which skills i shouldn't waste skillpoints before buying at trainers?

I plan to play on normal or tough difficulty level (both roman and celt).

Thanks for any tip.

• 3 weeks later...

a) what is sylak mortar & pestle good for?

In the original game it created ingredient herbs, now I think it increases the chance of getting extra potions when you make them.

B) anyone have a list of all sylak items and what are they used for? (not locations of them)

No. The only ones that really help are Sylak's pen for making scrolls from paper (really useful), Sylak's chaotic dice for gaining XP in dice games in the Hollow Hills, northwest of Galag-Trav, and as Romans on the luck test. Sylak's dancing cloth produces clothing items for sale, but most are now unsellable. Sylak's nourishing bowl produces food that is helpful when you do Annwn, but not needed.

c) is first aid skill any good when playing singleton?

If you buy the training and have a kit with you then you can use it to replace health and spell energy 3 times a day. Saves on potions outside of combat.

d) is there anywhere i can buy levels in war circle skill as roman?

Hagfen sells war circle skill, but only 2 levels if you aren't already at level 2, so probably no in practice. It does help for beast and craft circles.

thanks a lot for your answers.

one more question please smile

can romans learn break barrier spell or is only way to remove barries with piercing crystals? with limited number of crystals, i guess i should carefully choose which barriers are worth breaking

i have craft circle at level 4 atm.

1 level bought from Moira i think and 3 levels from Crones scroll.

edit:

i've now found sylak wisdom stone or something (looks like amber). any use for it?

Doing the Hagfen quest to kill the Selkie chief gives you the option of gaining 3 levels in either craft or beast circle for one person. Killing Raven in the Jagged Aerie gives you the All Circle scroll for 3 levels in healing, war, beast, and craft circle for one person. So it's possible to get break barrier spell. Killing Raven is hard as a singleton

Sylak's wisdom crystal gives some experience once a day. The amount decreases as you gain levels.

I think there are 2 or 3 barriers that you don't break as a Roman just using piercing crystals. Testing to see if the barrier can be walked through helps before using one. Annwn has one for killing monsters in a prison and to get at a box, and there is one in Castle Aethdoc that just leads to a piece of amber that I skip

Originally by Randomizer:

B) anyone have a list of all sylak items and what are they used for? (not locations of them)

No. The only ones that really help are Sylak's pen for making scrolls from paper (really useful), Sylak's chaotic dice for gaining XP in dice games in the Hollow Hills, northwest of Galag-Trav, and as Romans on the luck test. Sylak's dancing cloth produces clothing items for sale, but most are now unsellable. Sylak's nourishing bowl produces food that is helpful when you do Annwn, but not needed.

---

Well, Sylak's thumping shovel comes in handy too, particularly as Romans -- casting one cloud of night per day is a nice feature, even if I often forgot to use it.