Need advice for new scenario

Hello, I am a new member for this forum. I am making a new scenario, a very large, real world size one, as outlined not to make in Kelandon's sight. However, I have made great progress in my scenario, and I am thinking of posting it as a work in progress, with a small portion of the scenario's universe revealed and the rest you can't reach yet. Should I do this, and if it is acceptable, how do I post scenarios in the first place?

Originally Posted By: Cpt Charles
Hello, I am a new member for this forum.

Welcome! Please leave your sanity at the door.

Quote:
I am making a new scenario, a very large, real world size one, as outlined not to make in Kelandon's sight.

As long as you know what you're getting into. Kelandon mostly wanted to warn people that this can be a lot more time consuming than it looks at first glance, and since there have been so many plans for vast scenarios which have come to naught (released, at least) suggest that new designers should consider setting their sites a little lower.

Quote:
I am thinking of posting it as a work in progress, with a small portion of the scenario's universe revealed and the rest you can't reach yet. Should I do this

The main argument against it is that since it can't be played or tested entirely, t may be best to just wait. In particular, a general release of a partial work lessens the impact when the full product is ready. However, there is also much to be said for doing early testing to eliminate problems incrementally.

What you might consider doing is holding a pre-alpha test and asking a few people to test the existing part of the scenario and provide feedback. You could then continue testing when the rest of the scenario is completed, likely with the help of the same people. One thing to avoid here is endless cycles of testing in which very little is added to or fixed in the scenario; this makes testers frustrated and bored.

On the other hand, if you really just want to release your work so far, it's your choice to do so.

Quote:
how do I post scenarios in the first place?

On the forum, you can't. You will need to get the files hosted on some website. Technically, Spiderweb software offers to host finished products on its site, but to my knowledge no designer has bothered to send scenarios to them for a couple of years; we just handle hosting scenarios ourselves as a community.

The Blades Forge is a good option for people who don't have websites of their own, or you can set up a small website for free with services like http://www.webs.com/, which several people around here use. Finally you could ask people who have their own sites to host it for you; I for one wouldn't mind doing so.

It's worth noting that if you do decide to conduct a closed test, rather than simply releasing your work so far, the usual procedure is to just email the files to the people who volunteer as testers, which lets you defer the hosting problem until later.

Free roam type scenarios don't really lend themselves very well to being serialized, but if you just want to have a closed testing of sorts to get feedback from the community then I think that could be useful especially for a new designer. You can send me what you have at mcleod 989 (at) yahoo.com if you'd like to hear what I have to say.