Avernum vs Avernum Escape from the pit?

The world and plot and characters are the same. The engines are quite different, so the graphics, character systems, and combat could play quite differently. Jeff also plans on adding new content. I wouldn't count on a game that isn't mostly the same, but there will be new stuff in there.

—Alorael, who thinks the best way to understand it is as the transition from Exile to Avernum. If you've played any of E1-3 and A1-3, you'll see how they're the same and how they're different. This is likely to be similar.

Some day when the First Trilogy is remade and Avadon series is winding down there will probably be a need to upgrade the Second Trilogy and Geneforge as newer computers will have trouble with them.

There are plenty of new features from Avernum 6 that aren't in the old Avernum 1 like dual wielding, area effect spells, battle disciplines, etc. so the games will require different tactics.

Well most of his work, or at least a whole heaping helping of it, is already done in advance, so he can spend more time polishing and adding on. The general design and layout of the vast majority of places, things, and people are WELL established. Theoretically, he could have a way to directly import a lot from Avernum the original and convert it with little to do in some cases even.

In some cases, like that of the Tower of Magi (which he at one point claimed would signal the death knell of his santiy if he had to redesign it AGAIN if IIRC...), I hope that's all he has to do. If he literally has to rebuild everything by hand... Wow that sounds tedious.

For good or ill, Avernum 2: Crystal Souls will be that but even MORE given that he won't be needing to hammer out a new(ish) engine at that point.

It's a safe bet that all the dialogue (except for new additions) will be imported. Also, based on the screen shot of the area around Fort Exile, maps have also been imported. I'm all the maps will get tweaks, but -- even though the trees have changed dramatically -- the pattern of trees in the gremlin grove is unmistably the same as it used to be.

Originally Posted By: Necris Omega
the Tower of Magi (which he at one point claimed would signal the death knell of his santiy if he had to redesign it AGAIN if IIRC...)

I remember that! The funny thing is that he has in fact redesigned it 5 times since then: for Avernum 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6.

Was that quote really THAT old? Huh...

I'unno. Avernums 1-3 I'm not sure you could say were really redesigns as they were pretty close to the original Exile version (with tiered levels, of course) and 4 and 6 were just a tiny sliver of the original with just the relatively small tower colony around it, no?

Eh, details. Either way, Jeff's sanity is still intact nearest as I can tell.

Yeah, the quote was from when he said he'd never make an Exile 4. I believe it was right around BoE.

Avernum 1-3 definitely count as redesigns. If you've ever used the Blades of Exile Editor AND the Blades of Avernum Editor, you will quickly find out how dramatically different making town maps is in those games simply due to the fact that walls take up an entire space in Exile, but are between spaces in Avernum. It really is a total redesign from scratch even if you already know where most things are. And since most things stayed in the same place between Exile 1, 2, and 3 in the Tower anyway, I think it was just as big a deal to remake it in the Avernum engine.