Posted 08 August 2011 - 06:47 AM
From Burnt Toast on the CSR:
This scenario is quite bad. However, there are a few interesting and funny things throughout that are worth looking at.
1) I rather liked the use of the lightning pillars attached to the crystal column to do damage. This was kind of interesting.
2) The use of levers in a series to get various gates open is an interesting innovation.
3) I rather liked the Barney dragon. It was quite funny. I think the purple dragon may have been used again in Basshikava.
4) This is the first time I've seen a book which gives you several levels of different spells at once.
5) The undead gauntlet is an interesting innovation. Having cold skeletons with fields approach you then having ruby skeletons set up crossfire is kind of interesting. Very few scenarios have effectively used a combination of archer on the outside walls-- with fighters in the middle.
6) The bridge fight is also interesting because it uses a layered monster approach. Frontline-- fighters defender (null bugs) , Middle -- throwers-- casters (efreet) , back-- destroyers (altered basilisks). This could have been done better with a different set of monsters. For example-- frontline row of blade golems, middle-- ice and fire golems, back -- demon golems.
7) All of the items are ridiculously broken. However, destroying an item as you leave or having it taken from you is an interesting idea. The Masters Sword goes away in the latest version.
8) It is kind of interesting seeing the monsters being continuously upgraded. Ur Basilisk, Altered Basiliks, Avatar Basilisk. Ridiculous, but interesting.
9) There were some odd things in this scenario, the statues in the middle of nowhere, the strange place with rows of herbs.
10) You get to have your Monty Haul dreams fulfilled with the most powerful items readily available on the ground in quantity. I am sure some people love this. The retort was; they are not as powerful as the god items in the HLPM. Pretty close...
There are a few more powerful items in Canopy like the Miracle Boots, Miracle Bracelet, Miracle Shield, and Miracle Helm, and of course my favorite Morog's scepter. But no more powerful weapons.
The items are broken.
The monsters are kind of ridiculous-- super Vahnati guardians, purple dragons, Rentar - Ihrno.
The plot is very basic. The Vahnati are going to get us with their super world destroying stuff. It is kind of like having Rentar Ihrno become DR. DOOM.
But, you have to give him credit for trying 9 times to get it right. Blame me for inflating the score. Maybe
He did try real hard on this thing to make it work. We slogged through nine versions. It is almost playable now. Not great but almost playable...