The Empire's New Grove

The Empire's New Grove

Mac/Windows

Author: Nikki

Rating:

Difficulty:

Version: 1.0.0

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IlRoZSBFbXBpcmUncyBOZXcgR3JvdmUiLCJ0aWQiOiIxNTY2MCIsInRhZ3MiOltdLCJiZ2FzcCI6eyI1IjowLCI0IjowLCIzIjo5LCIyIjoyLCIxIjowfX0=]

Composite Score: 2.8/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/11)

Good: 0.00% (0/11)

Average: 81.82% (9/11)

Substandard: 18.18% (2/11)

Poor: 0.00% (0/11)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords:

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

From Lazarus on the CSR:

Nikki made this scenario in one day, and it shows in the scenario's length. However, like TM's effort, the designer's experience shows in this short yet polished scenario.

How short, you ask? Well shorter than AGB-- nuff said.

OK, to be fair it's probably of about equal length to AGB, at least in number of towns. However, it has fewer NPC's to interact with, and playing the scenario is much quicker. What it does have is a good although short plot, and prettiness that earns it the distinction of what I would call Nikki's best looking scenario. Kept me interested all the way through (Granted 'all the way through' wasn't that long....)

Groovy indeed. [rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Thralni on the CSR:

As expected, this scenario was incredibly short. Nikki made it in the same way as TM made "Settlers" (which, actually, I find one of his best scenarios...), however, This scenario was much nicer to play. The plot, for such a small scenario, was okay.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating], because I wanted to give it a higher score than TM's, but it was practically non-existant.

From The Lurker on the CSR:

What Lazarus said.

You play as bandits instead of adventurers, for once. Oh, and by the way, there's only one battle, but I found it to be really hard. It uses scripting from Echoes : Renegade, and my Level 1 party suffered. I won after a few tries but lost one of my PCs.

Pretty good, but very short.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From TM on the CSR:

I don't know what there is to be said about a 24 hour scenario, but it's refreshing seeing one from the outside for once.

Yeah. Combat is nice; it's pretty; the plot is good enough... I mean, it's worth playing, just not by THAT much. Which, I guess, is the best any effort built in a day can strive for.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Smoo on the CSR:

Another short scenario from Nikki... Well why not? I like his work although in The Empire's New Grove it shows that it was designed in 24 hours. The two towns and outdoor section aren't ugly or anything, but I can't really remember what they were like either. Some pretty custom trees were used which is good. In the second town the player's movement is restricted severely which is bad. Of course there was a reason for the restriction and it was sound but still: Boo!

The one fight the scenario had was indeed pretty tough. Two magi and two EMPIRE archers and some grunts? At least the magi had few hit points and the archers weren't actual Empire archers but still. Ouch. I had to try it close to ten times before beating it. I would've been done sooner but I refused to let even one of my PCs die.

As for the plot, the player is a bandit for a change. This doesn't really affect the scenario in any significant way. Sure I got to slaughter merchants but hey, they fought back! I would've also liked to have one more fight right at the end but meh. What're ye gonna do?

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From S M Adventurer on the CSR:

Ah, this is a short, nicely designed adventure. It is actually pretty interesting to see your party take on the role of being Brigands instead of fighting for the Empire. Then when you attempt to commit an act of banditry, you get arrested. Then the bandit leader sets you free. The scenario ends there.

I'd say it's pretty good.

[rating]AVERAGE[/rating]

From Enraged Slith on the CSR:

Everything about this scenario is solid and polished, but it's too short to be worth anything.

The combat is too difficult for a level 1 party and the permanent +3 to Melee Weapons is a little too much.

However, the writing is good (as usual in Nikki's work) and can serve as a useful tutorial for designers like myself.

Thanks for the inspiration to improve the writing in my scenarios.

[rating]SUBSTANDARD[/rating]

• 11 years later...

Just reliving past glories and it struck me that so many people complained about the good guys (i.e. the "not you guys") in this scenario being tough. That wa a definite choice – because brigands in the Avernum universe are such a pushover! I definitely intended the fight to result in casualities 😂