It's On: 10th Scenario Design Contest!

BainIhrno

Deadline: December 1, 2011

(If people want it sooner or later, I'll move it. I thought if this inspires anyone to design, I'll leave that option open)

There seems to be reasonable interest in having it, I guess, so I'll go ahead and start it.

We've had many scenarios come out in the past few years, so I think it's time to have another general contest. For those of you who don't know how they work, they are open to all scenarios that haven't competed in a general contest previously. There is a preliminary judging phase, where scenarios will be judged in separate categories, including one for anyone who hasn't previously participated in a contest. The others will be decided based on which scenarios are entered into the contest.

If your scenario is good enough, you will advance to Best Scenario Judging, where you will have the chance to win Best Scenario, and go down in Blades history as a contest winner! Unfortunately, I can't guarantee prizes will be given to the winner. It may be that Stareye or someone will agree to give the winner a custom title of their choice on these forums, but no promises. However, your scenario will be added to the list of Contest Winners, which is an honor amongst itself.

Preliminary judging works as follows: Judges will score scenarios from 1 to 10, with 10 being the best. The scenario that scores the best in its category wins the category. The winner, as well as any scenario within 80% of the category winner will advance to Best Scenario.

Best Scenario judging will involve the judges submitting a list from best to worst, and it will be averaged to come up with a cumulative Best Scenario.

Since there are many eligible scenarios now, I've decided to make a list, and if you want to enter, just say so. However, I'll wait till the contest gets closer to start collecting judges. The contest will be open to both BoE and BoA. As it is likely the majority of contestants will be made with BoA, you will be required to have a registered copy of BoA to judge. BoE is open source now and is free, so most shouldn't have trouble getting it, but if you can't or feel you can't judge BoE scenarios fairly, we'll work something out.

Current Eligible Scenarios (scenarios confirmed are in bold; scenarios that will likely not be competing are crossed out):

Threnody (Lazarus)

Waterweb (Handyman)

The Crusaders (Bain) (BOE Scenario)

Black Crown: Part I (Duck)

Strange Gildra (BJ Earles)

The Cradle (BJ Earles)

Warp (Ephesos)

The Siege of Copperpeak (Ephesos)

Out of Sight (Nikki)

The Staff (Slack)

Nobody's Heroes (Kelandon)

Sorcerer's Apprentice (Niemand)

The Eternal (Nikki)

The Triple Valley (Iffy)

Quarhag Pass (Smoo)

The Ritual of Registration (Nemesis)

Incorruptible (Tridash)

Turn That Frown Upside-Down (Duck)

Turn the Frown Upside Down II (Duck)

HIM: Wolf at the Door (Thralni)

Enemy at the Gates (Metatron)

Gluckcluck (Enraged Slith)

Always on Your Day Off! (Nicothodes)

To Hell in a Handbasket (Nemesis)

Oops (Dintiradan)

Pilgrimage to Thakos (Sylae Correll) (BOE Scenario)

Melliput Mobsters (Celtic Minstrel)

Beechford (M Haensel)

If anyone's interested, Previous Contest Winners:

1st Contest: Tatterdemalion (BoE) (Tarl Kudrick)

2nd Contest: Redemption (BoE) (Alcritas)

3rd Contest: Masks (BoE) (Brett Bixler)

4th Contest: Falling Stars (BoE) (Alcritas)

5th Contest: Quintessence (BoE) (Brett Bixler)

6th Contest: Emulations (BoE) (Stareye)

7th Contest, BoE: Tomorrow (BoE) (Alcritas)

7th Contest, BoA/Spiderweb: Bahssikava (BoA) (Kelandon)

8th Contest: Echoes: Renegade (BoA) (Terror's Martyr)

9th Contest: Frostbite (BoA) (Lazarus)

Which scenario will be added to this list? The drama begins... tongue

Man, I can't believe that there's only been three general contests in BoA's lifetime.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Now I have to go and finish my everything.
And this is more motivation to finish my tutorial-thing. Also LoD1, but I've been saying that it's almost ready for release since '06. So yeah.

Bain, thank you once again for spearheading another contest.

Confirm all of mine, including ones yet unreleased. laugh

Also, as a general reminder to all, Tyranicus and myself just updated all of the Review threads to include, well... everything. So if you haven't reviewed things that you've played, I wholeheartedly encourage you to review them.

Also, if anyone wants to opt a scenario of theirs out of the listings, let one of us know.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's next week, and the end thereof, and the scenario is not yet released. However, the primary hurdle of a 1,400-line terrain script is mostly done and in the debugging stage, and other than that I just want to add some message_dialogs and do a couple of playthroughs to make sure everything still works, so next week is looking very likely.

I do have ideas for another similarly monolithic terrain script, but that can wait until a version 1.1.

• 1 month later...

Just a reminder, two months to go!

I started a BoA scenario, but I can't get into the scripting unfortunately, so it isn't likely to happen.

So far, the categories will include General Entries and Newcomers.

General Entries include: The Crusaders (BoE), The Eternal, Warp, and Siege of Copperpeak.

Newcomers include: Waterweb, Sorcerer's Apprentice, and Melliput Mobsters.

Just FYI.

Quote:
Just a reminder, two months to go!
Thanks for the reminder, Bain!

Quote:
I started a BoA scenario, but I can't get into the scripting unfortunately, so it isn't likely to happen.
I'm slowly creeping along on my tutorial, and I just finished another section on scripting today if that helps, but it's far from complete. I hope to put more time into it and finish soon, though. The original plan was to finish both the tutorial and LoD1 by the deadline, but it's not a sure thing.

Quote:
So far, the categories will include General Entries and Newcomers.

General Entries include: The Crusaders (BoE), The Eternal, Warp, and Siege of Copperpeak.

Newcomers include: Waterweb, Sorcerer's Apprentice, and Melliput Mobsters.

Just FYI.
Maybe add Oops to the list? Not a work I'm overly proud of, not going to win any awards by any stretch of the imagination, and it was a very rushed scenario, but it still is a scenario. A general contest should have more entries.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, I have to change my RSVP to "Will Not Be Attending." The reason being, my hard drive is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Still working on a way to retrieve data (i.e. my scenario submission), but even if I do manage to salvage it, I doubt it'd be done by the deadline.

If I can't salvage it... well... I might eventually try to rebuild it from scratch. Maybe. frown

Originally Posted By: A Disquieting Silence
Unfortunately, I have to change my RSVP to "Will Not Be Attending." The reason being, my hard drive is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Still working on a way to retrieve data (i.e. my scenario submission), but even if I do manage to salvage it, I doubt it'd be done by the deadline.

If I can't salvage it... well... I might eventually try to rebuild it from scratch. Maybe. frown

I'm so sorry, man. I hope you're able to retrieve what you need.