Avernum: Escape From the Pit Announced

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for setting that straight. I just remember that the main difference was that it was unblockable, making it infinitely useful. Weak damage, but better than nothing, and IMHO better than bows or thrown weapons.

BTW, bows and thrown do improve in the Avernum games, but I was never fond of them. Must have the bad taste Exile gave me of them.

I always made enough of a use of bows to enjoy them. That said, I really didn't like it when the later Avernums dropped Crossbows from the roster. Trashing the darts and slings from Exile that no one uses was all fine and good, but taking out Crossbows in favor of just... BIGGER bows?

... What, couldn't Jeff get anyone to do a worthy updated Crossbow graphic?

DEATHMATCH TOURNEY #3

COMPETITORS:

- Goldenking

- Deathmatch

ROUND 1.1

BRIMMING BYSTANDER vs. DEATHY OF DEATHIES... FIGHT!

NO CONTEST... FINISH HIM! BYE BYE GOLEM.

JUDGE'S RULING: DEATHMATCH

GOLDENKING IS ELIMINATED

DEATHMATCH HAS WON THE TOURNAMENT

DEATHMATCH IS CROWNED CHAMPION OF THE THIRD DEATHMATCH

BY IMBAN(WHO IS STILL EVERYONE)/ICSHI(WHO RETROACTIVELY DID

NOT DIE AND THEN RETRIOACTIVITOUSLY RE-RETROACTIVELY DIES

AFTER THE CROWNING)/SLARTIPHER

Originally Posted By: Goldenking
As Alorael said, it cuts off just past Mertis. You can get to the Spiral, and explore in the Honeycomb for a while, but you can't get to the Tower of Magi.

That always really disappointed me when I was playing the demo.
I thought Exile 1 did not have an accessible Tower of Magi, but I guess it's very likely I'm mistaken.

I think you meant the opposite of what you said, Slarty.

In E1, not only is the ToM accessible, it's plot-essential and it's available quite early in the demo.

—Alorael, who used its random item seller to acquire a magic spear long before he was supposed to. Then he bought a bronze halberd and used that instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: zeric7x
Excited about this game. I played the original exile and avernum. Cant wait for it to come out.

It is almost the end of Nov in Q4, 2011. I would like to get a definitive date to when the Mac version will be released. I am rather excited to have my GF play this game since she has not played any of the great RPG's (In my opinion) but loves RPG's.

And since I know someone will ask, I consider the best three RPG's of all time to be (in no particular order):
1: Ultima 7 collection (parts 1 & 2)
2: Avernum (I have fav's among each sequels but we will stick with the original)
3: Elder Scrolls III Morrowind

Originally Posted By: Randomizer
Avernum is more like cutting down the tallest tree in the forest with a herring bone. smile

You know you will eventually will win the fight, some day, if your hands don't develop carpal tunnel syndrome, and you have a spare keyboard.

This is kind of depressing. I hope that's not really what it's like.

It depends upon how you build your party. There was this one fight with all spell casters versus runewarded monsters that was an effort to wear them down before I wore down from repeatedly typing in attacks.

Besides Slarty you were the one to go through Avernum 4 with a high evasion character fighting chitrachs. smile

I'm not sure what you're suggesting. The high evasion strategy ended up being unsuccessful for A4 -- besides its vulnerability to AoE attacks, it just couldn't keep up with enemy hit rates in the second half of the game. And I think you are aware of my hatred for A4 style chitrachs and 200+ enemy counts.