I've Made Lion-Compatible Versions of the Avernum Trilogy

The original Avernum trilogy for Mac are PPC OS X apps, which means they will not run in OS X 10.7 Lion. However, using Wineskin, I have made standalone Intel OS X apps out of the Windows versions of the games. They are available for download here. These are the unregistered demo versions. If you have bought the games in the past, you can register them like you normally would. (Email Jeff with your codes, and wait for him to send you the registration codes)

• 2 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, has anyone tried playing BoA scenarios with this? I'm assuming you'd have to use the Windows versions of the scenarios.
It would probably work, but why? The Mac version of BoA is a Universal Binary, which means it runs natively on Intel Macs and therefore still works in Lion.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I'm trying these with a MacBook Air, running Lion, and it's having some issues (but I'm getting my hopes up!)

Basically, they start up, the Spiderweb noise plays, but it gets cut off... then on the main menu, there is no sound. (This continues throughout the game, no sound/music.)

Avernum 2 gets stuck and freezes on the main menu.

Anyone had any issues like this, and found a solution?

Thanks! smile

I have experienced the sound cutting out occasionally, but quitting and relaunching the game usually fixes it. As for Avernum 2 freezing on the menu screen, I honestly don't know what could be causing that. Just to see what happens, I'll remake these with the latest version on Wineskin this weekend. That may fix your issues.

Scenarios are platform-independent, so yes, you could play BoA scenarios with this (though I thought BoA was already a Universal app, wasn't it?). But you'd need the Windows graphics format, of course.

Saved games are perhaps a slightly bigger issue. I don't suppose there's any chance of someone creating a saved-game converter? I guess it's not really that important, but it'd be nice not to lose progress. (Though, I can boot back to Snow Leopard to play them as well, so even without a converter I don't need to lose progress.)

Scenarios are platform-independent, so yes, you could play BoA scenarios with this (though I thought BoA was already a Universal app, wasn't it?). But you'd need the Windows graphics format, of course.

Saved games are perhaps a slightly bigger issue. I don't suppose there's any chance of someone creating a saved-game converter? I guess it's not really that important, but it'd be nice not to lose progress. (Though, I can boot back to Snow Leopard to play them as well, so even without a converter I don't need to lose progress.)

BoA is in fact Universal, so it's not an issue.

• 1 year later...

I've tried uninstalling everything related to Avernum, and Wine. Updated my system to 10.8.4. Re-downloaded. Nothing.

Then, I opened the wrapped Avernum.exe using CrossOver, and after a while, the program started. However, the screen stayed mostly black apart from the regular pop-up window, and a message said "unable to load graphic 3001, you prolly got some corrupt shiz".

Edit: I tried wrapping the humble bundle version myself, and I get the same graphics errors. Blank whites or blacks, freezing. Went and installed Wine 1.1.9 because that one was confirmed to work for Avernum 1.0.3. on the Wine database, that made the program not open at all though. I'm starting to suspect I need some sort of old utility that tells the windows bits what to do with the display.

• 10 months later...

I've made a few updates to the wrappers. They now use the same version of Wineskin that Good Old Games uses in their retail wrappers. I have modified the keyboard mappings in order to allow saving and loading with Cmd-S and Cmd-O as well as cardinal direction movement with the arrow keys. Also, there are now two versions of each game, fullscreen and windowed. In order to play the game in a window rather than an unmovable box in the middle of the screen, I had to set specific display settings in the wrapper. Since my goal is to make these games easy to play and not needlessly complicated, it made sense to do that work for everyone and offer both versions. Both will load save files created by the other.