?!?!

Karoka

I tried loading my (demo) Exile 3 game, and I ended up in a land that made absolutely no sense. Outdoors, I started on top of lava, next to an open door and cave wall. Out of curiosity, I wandered around an encountered a group of 20 Ogre Mages, 5 Cave Rats, and 1 Gazer. I fled and entered a town called |||||||, where I saw nothing but bridges. I reloaded, and now it was back to normal, sort of. I was in what I'm assuming Exile land controlled by the Empire. I encountered a group of Empire soldiers, who didn't fight me because I had the red flag (or whatever it's called) in my Special Items. Again, I reloaded. Now, I'm at the Tower of Magi! Now I'm thinking to myself, "WOOAAAHH! Tower of Magi! I'm gonna go inside and try to kill everybody!!" I tried to enter, but it said I have no business there frown. So anyways, I go west and encounter ogres near the cave wall. Also, I found a lava pit south, where friendly spiders talked to me. Continuing west, I saw Silva. That's when I looked at the map of Exile and realized that I wasn't supposed to be there!! So now I'm thinking, "WOOAAAHH! I'm playing random parts of the registered mode with absolutely no idea what's going on!! COOOL!"

This happened two years ago and I'm posting it now because I finally remembered. I don't remember that much else, though I do know more happened.

EDIT: I meant Exile 2.

I diagnose you with dreaming about Exile. This all goes beyond what glitches could provide, and parts of the game you experienced (Silvar, Empire-controlled Exile) don't exist in E3.

—Alorael, who also supposes mistaken memories of oddities experienced two years ago are possible. "It was all a dream" is much more satisfying, though, in this situation and this situation only.

There is a town called Silvar in the surface world in E3, but yeah, this does sound more like E2.

In particular, the demo area of E2 does have a fight with 1 Ogre Mage and lots of Ogres. The "Empire soldiers who didn't fight" were probably an Exile patrol who didn't fight once they saw that you were also soldiers. The "Tower of Magi" could have been Solberg's Tower, which you can reach, but not get into, in the E2 demo. And the friendly spiders do make their cave in a map quadrant that is mostly cut off by the Barriers, just not the part where the spiders live.

I'm sorry, it was actually Exile 2. I hate typos.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
The "Tower of Magi" could have been Solberg's Tower, which you can reach, but not get into, in the E2 demo.
But is was all the way to the southeast(knew this because I checked the Map of Exile), and that's waaay past the barriers that I'm not supposed to get past.
Originally Posted By: Micawber
I wondered if the "red flag" might have been a red pass.
It probably was.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
The "Tower of Magi" could have been Solberg's Tower, which you can reach, but not get into, in the E2 demo.
Depending on your definition of "get into", one could argue you actually can get into Solberg's tower. As I recall, you can enter the town and fight some demons, but then you come up against the requirement of higher clearance.

I actually had this happen once. Basically I did something convoluted that I seriously don't know how I did any longer and ended up back at the starting town, without cheating, after getting the barriers removed. This was in the demo. Anyway, barriers were in fact gone. But when I tried to move past them, the game completely threw a fit and began leaping about and screaming. Towns randomly glitched, very weird monster spawns occured, and several times the shareware demon popped up and told me I must register when I was nowhere near his trigger points.

Originally Posted By: Trenton
If you use the editor, you can go back to the starting town easily, or was that avernum 2?

I know you can use the return to start feature in the editor to do that in A2, but I'm not sure whether it is also a feature in E2. Judging by some of the above posts, it probably is.

From what Dikiyoba remembers, A2 will glitch a bit if you haven't registered and return to Fort Ganrick without going through the Tower of Magi, but if you do it after registering, the game works fine. The plot is a bit wonky, but presumably if you're using the editor you don't care about that.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba
Originally Posted By: Trenton
If you use the editor, you can go back to the starting town easily, or was that avernum 2?

I know you can use the return to start feature in the editor to do that in A2, but I'm not sure whether it is also a feature in E2. Judging by some of the above posts, it probably is.
I just checked; you can do this in both E2 and A2. However, in order to return to the start, you must first move your party outdoors.

And that's intentional. You're not supposed to be able to get to the vahnatai lands, teleport back, miss a big chunk of the plot, and strand yourself because you left your boat.

—Alorael, who was full of certainty that there was no Amulet of Recall in E2, but he then remembered he's only actually finished A2. In that, at least, there's no such item.

E2 had word of recall spell that you could use to leave the Empire fort past Fort Remote that had a Crystal Soul once you left the building. I think in A2 you had the option with enough nature lore to walk back with maybe one fight.

E3 had both the spell and amulet, but the amulet had a distance limit whereas the spell would work almost anywhere.