After playing avernum 1for a couple of days now, i am very optimistic about this company. I initially had trouble playing the game as the graphics were a bit dated, however, after i realized that alot of games i played early on (in early 90s) werent the best graphics wise; the game really grew on me. I like a few things about the game that really stand out for me personally.

1-The game can be hard and especially in the beginning, but not masochism hard like geneforge series. I am very optimistic that it will get harder as things go along, however i like the roaming aspect of the game. You can roam in geneforge but nothing like what you are getting in avernum.

2-The assassination skill is very handy and i am using it for my rogue. It helps with creatures that really are too low to warrant an effort. I am hoping that when i get done with avernum that avernum 2 and 3 have that skill as its really cool.

Ive only explored 5 or 6 towns and its fun. I cant believe that there are 80 towns! Thats crazy.

Yeah, you're going to want to take notes. Especially in A1, as there's no quest log. Even aside from quests, it's easy to forget what and who was where.

Assassination remains in A2 and A3. Also in BoA, which you might want to try at some point.

In the early Avernums, because they're so open, it is quite possible to wander into an area that's way too hard for your party, but you can usually just leave and come back to it later.

Originally Posted By: Death Knight
I initially had trouble playing the game as the graphics were a bit dated, however, after i realized that alot of games i played early on (in early 90s) werent the best graphics wise; the game really grew on me.
Yeah, most of Jeff's games aren't known for awesome graphics, but they more than make up for it in great dialogue and overall gameplay.

Quote:
Ive only explored 5 or 6 towns and its fun. I cant believe that there are 80 towns! Thats crazy.
As a rule, exploring 5-6 towns is barely scratching the surface for Spiderweb games. The full games give you an entire world to enjoy.

• 1 month later...