Some questions before i play

I have never actually played and got into a avernum engine type game. However, I thought of trying this game out as i found that its fantasy with a bit of historics, which i thought was cool.

1) How do the spells work with regards to the games. I have played geneforge and was wondering if blessing spells were the same as in that game. Each level of blessing grants 1 level of damage=1-3? Is that correct? If not what do you get with increased levels from those spells, haste, etc.

2) How do the damage spells fare, with increased levels, do they have a better chance of hitting and damage like in geneforge.

3)It seems like i am unable to create my own 4 characters, as each time i delete one and create one, they automatically give me and select my skills. Do you have to have this?

4)I am going to play as the celts not because i am that background but because i want to play as the underdog and make a group of tiny tanks. Is it possible to make a team that is almost on par meleewise with the romans/spartans?

Thanks for any help.

Quote:
2) How do the damage spells fare, with increased levels, do they have a better chance of hitting and damage like in geneforge.

Damage increases, as far as I know they always hit but resistance may reduce damage.

Quote:
3)It seems like i am unable to create my own 4 characters, as each time i delete one and create one, they automatically give me and select my skills. Do you have to have this?

No. See the little up and down arrows near skills? You can press the down arrow to unlearn a skill during party creation to get the skill point spent on it and spend it where you like.

Quote:
4)I am going to play as the celts not because i am that background but because i want to play as the underdog and make a group of tiny tanks. Is it possible to make a team that is almost on par meleewise with the romans/spartans?

If I remember correctly you can make celt characters with respectable melee skills, but they won't be as good as romans at melee due to romans having roman training and celt's strength being magic. Romans also have access to slightly better armor.

1) The magic system works with circles where you need at least the same level of druidism to raise a circle and the lower circles to get the higher circles. The spells are similar to early Avernum games with a few that only appear in this game. Magic did get nerfed in the remake since it was too powerful in the original game.

4) In the original game Romans had better armor, but the remake balances things out much better. If you work at it and use spells to improve fighting ability with bless and haste then you are plenty powerful.

Celts main advantage is magic since they have more spells and and easier time getting the training because of lower skill point cost. By the end of the game magic will get you through lots of tough fights.

Ok, that is helpful info to know. I almost had it figured that the celts had to have some edge over the romans, otherwise it wouldnt be fair.

-Are there any special skills that you can learn like in avernum? (or so i hear)

-How is the leveling system worked. Do you only need 1000 experience and the amount of experience you get depends on the level of the monster you killed, plus who did the kill? Ive read up on this and it almost always seems like you *are better off taking traits as -10% doesnt matter.

Yes, there are special skills. Each side has skills that the other does not normally have access to but can learn from certain sources. There are also skills that can only be found from those special sources.

If you're playing the original Nethergate, it's very different, but in the remake you're largely correct. You need a certain amount of experience to level, the amount you get from a kill scales with the difference between your level and the monster's, and an experience penalty therefore has less effect than the listed cost. Yes, you're better off taking nice traits.

—Alorael, who thinks it's also important to note that the character who lands the killing blow doesn't get any more experience. It always distributes equally.