CANT START AVERNUM 6!

Trenton.

Ok so I download avernum 6 like I did on my old computer right? So far so good. A while later the finish button shows. I click it. Avernum 6 is now on my desktop. I double click it and the normal box pops up with stuff saying "Draw all graphics?" and stuff like that And I click minimum graphics for old machines. So anywho I try to click ok...Only to see It's not there! There are the normal words at the bottom, so I try to drag the box upwards so it will let me click. But when I drag it up It's still not far enough! I dont know how to get it to where I can click on the OK. So if anyone can tell me a short cut key for that, or how to make it so I can click it? Thanks

P.S. I have windows.

Originally Posted By: Trenton Uchiha, rebel servile.
I did. That just exited the thing and at first I thought it was starting. But after thirty minutes I realized it wasnt starting.

Heh-heh. Yeah on my machine, it takes less than thirty minutes tongue

It sounds like your computer is on a quite low resolution (so that the entire dialog doesn't fit on one screen). Increasing the screen resolution (if possible) may help you to view the whole thing.

Have you tried the 'play game in window' option?

What about the DirectX version (launch icon is on start menu, not the desktop)?

Yes mine said that along with a bar thing. It said a 800x600 or something like that, and it looks like one of the bars you can slide to change setting, like the scrolling bar on your internet to see the screen, but I couldn't do anything to it. I tried moving it more to the right to make it higher but it just wouldn't budge.

That may mean that your screen can't support any higher resolution (like because it physically doesn't have any more pixels). The system requirements for Avernum 6 explicitly say that it requires "1024x768 screen resolution with 32 bit color", so you may just not be able to play it without getting a newer monitor. The good news is that the newer monitor you need can still be a pretty old one; there are a lot of CRTs at least that good that people don't want and frequently give away.

Even so, 800x600 is still awfully low (unless the monitor is 20 years old). An alterntive might be a problem with the graphics drivers - I have seen the resolution locked at 800x600 on pcs when the graphics card was not recognised.

On the upside, 800x600 is the perfect resolution for playing the Exile Trilogy wink

Edit: And Blades of Exile!!

• 2 weeks later...

if you don't have drivers cd for your computer then 1st you need to find out your motherboard's manufacturer and name (for example Asus P6T SE) then goto manufacturer's site and search your motherboard from there (most have search box on their site), search results provide link to your motherboard and at there you can download drivers for your motherboard.

if your computer is brand computer (like Dell, HP, etc) then drivers for your comp are at computer's manufacturer's site.

Which version of windows do you have?

You need to find out whether you have a separate graphics card or are using the one built-in to the motherboard. One way to find out is to run "dxdiag" (from the Start -> Run box), this ought to display the name of your display device.

When you know the name, it should then be possible to google the name of the devoce and (hopefully!) download a driver (which is the software required to use the device properly).

where is your moniror's cable plugged? middle of computer or near bottom of computer? if middle then integrated graphic adapter (drivers are at motherboard's manufacturer's site) and if at bottom then external graphic card and drivers can be found on amd's or nvidia's drivers page (if you know card's model).

• 8 years later...

Hello there. I wished that I turn on into this topic,, because... I TOO HAVE the same problem. I don't know why the hell my Avernum 6 didn't open since I brought it. I finidhed upto 5 smoothly and even the spiderweb logo is not loading in 6! I am using Windows XP, which is seriously compatible. It opens up a window asking to mention the resolution and graphic amount. It is not even working at the least graphic. When I click open, after adjusting settings, another windows shows that Avernum 6 has encountered a problem and has to close. Please, help me in my problem...

yea best thing is to uninstall game and reinstall it.

do you have any security software installed? it's also possible that antivirus etc blocks game's access to graphic card or prevents it to run at all beyond resolution questionnaire and thereby game won't launch (I had that issue with A1-3 remakes and still some issues even I have reported Avernum*.exes as false positives).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm really not trying to insult your intelligence here...

Are you positive it can run on an XP? I mean that OS was probably my favorite over the years. I'm always very late moving platforms & my Win7 machine is well over a decade old (now doing backup duty as I was dragged kicking & screaming to W10 back in Jan....sigh)

You did get a fresh download from Spiderweb & not just try to reinstall with the files on your computer?

And if you did to that, you downloaded a Windows version & not an Apple?

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas.  Good luck

None of the faults you told are made and I am also not that stupid. My system is old model and I am not thinking of upgrading my OS. Well, spiderweb says that XP is compatible for that. Better, I'll try something else. Even if I got it, I won't play it soon as sessions are running out in Blades of Avernum as you see.

Like I said right up front, I wasn't trying to insult your intelligence.  There have however been far more times in my life than I can count (even if I drop my pants & take off my shoes) where I can't do something, someone asks what should be a blindingly obvious question....and after a flash of insight, my reply could not be broadcast over the airwaves. 

There's a reason why that calls to tech support about a machine not working, the questions start off with 'is it plugged in & turned on...?'.  You hadn't had any luck otherwise so it was time to go back to the basics/start and make sure.  But .... {redacted to avoid a TOS problem} ... good luck

On 6/14/2020 at 11:37 AM, Warrior Mage said:

Unfortunately, that too didn't work. Restart, run single program, reinstall... I tried all these. Also, it tells that a file is not found when trying to run the DX version. Any idea about what to do now?

Did you try putting the executable in compatibility mode with Windows 2000?

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Warrior Mage said:

Avernum 6 is not compatible with Windows 2000.

To avoid the spread of misinformation on these boards, I’m going to need to correct you on that point.

Avernum 6 is definitely compatible with Windows 2000.

If you’re having problems with compatibility mode on another OS, that is a separate issue. If you were running Windows 2000 directly, then Avernum 6 would in principle run straight out of the box. I know that's not so helpful in your situation, but it's important to stick to the facts!

Otherwise, I'm afraid I can't offer you much advice. This is a detailed Windows issue, and I don't have the right specifications to look into it. It may well be a graphics issue – in which case, there would be no harm in focusing your attention there for a while. Try experimenting with adjustments to your system's graphical interface and see if you notice any changes. A change is still important to note, even if the game doesn't start to work right away – that will at least help you to diagnose the problem!

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Warrior Mage said:

I feel like getting a clue in disguise, if not blessing. When I was working in safe mode before 2 weeks and I just tested if A6 is working. It did open!! Does opening only on safe mode means can I tell that some other software is blocking it?

Are you sure the problem is not with your OS? Which one are you using? I'm under Linux right now but I'll install Avernum 6 next time I start Windows 7; I think I've already done that but I'll do it again. :)

Edit: I just installed it on Windows 7 and it started without any problem. I bought all the Avernum games on GOG, in case that would make a difference.

Edited by ladyonthemoon

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm... I upgraded to Windows 7 (8.1 isn't compatible with system but sure I will buy new components in few months and upgrade) and Avernum 6 is now opening in normal mode! What does this mean? Was there problem with my XP? But, still I find problems. I choosed to draw all graphics, but even then the main menu is screen is white without background. I can't understand why it is so. I didn't go into the story until now.

Edited by Warrior Mage

• 3 weeks later...