The way players walk

• 2 weeks later...

That's if Jeff even sees it as worth the effort.

By then it may just be consigned to the ruins of techno history like the original Exile. I'unno.

If Nethergate did particularly well then maybe, but I could never get much into it.

I'd rather Geneforge get the revision treatment myself - I absolutely love the concept and idea, but the game system itself annoys me like no other Spiderweb title.

Well, at least its diverse. If it wasnt then it wouldnt be avernum. Or would it?

I find that (so far), avadon is a hack and slash with choices and baldurs gate 2 npc style thrown in, along with a very awesome skill and stat system. I really find the skill system with class differences to make the game unique. While I found geneforge 1 (although the only one ive beaten) to have the coolest story and so far the hardest game altogether.

But im still in the middle of avadon, so there's more to say about it once i have finished it. Either way, you got me sold for avadon 2.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

Even after the inventory and AP changes made in G4 and G5? What bugs you about it then?

Dikiyoba.

Well yes, like most things the Geneforge system DOES get better as the series goes on, but right now I'm in the original, and on top of the inventory issues, just the general flow of the game is really, really annoying.

Want to use a ranged weapon instead? Okay, here we go, first you have to scroll through the ponderous inventory, select the weapon you want, equip it, and… oops! You ran out of AP, and the Turret shot you for a number so big the patent is still pending. Too bad.

Skill point costs never grow, but they also start out dizzyingly high, and the rate at which you gain experience is abysmal. There are no cheap, reliable defensive talents, so my Guardian is a glass canon with extra glass. Slowing effects can lock you down indefinitely, and even the combat system is a pain. Something spies you from a million miles away? OMG, COMBAT MOAD GO GO GO!!! I even run into bugs where I'll get "you can't reach that" errors on targeting adjacent enemies. Most of all, and I really, truly hate to say this, I've nothing good to say about the overall balance either.

Yes, Geneforge does get much better with time, and the game I'm on currently was the first of its kind. Still, a lot of this… Neither Exile nor Avernum had any of these fundamental problems, so they just really come off as all the more glaring to me.

Still, with all the problems I find with the game, I really, really adore the concept and story. Yeah, Avernum/Exile will always have a nostalgic place of honor what with being my first real taste of the RPG world, but Geneforge is so unique, and so different I can't help but love it. The plot and writing I mean.

To that end, I really, really would love to see Geneforge revisited and redesigned. It's a great story with unique ideas that really deserve to be told with the kind of mechanical polish we all know Spiderweb can showcase.

Originally Posted By: Necris Omega
you have to scroll through the ponderous inventory... Skill point costs never grow... There are no cheap, reliable defensive talents... Slowing effects can lock you down indefinitely... the overall balance

All of these things change. The inventory goes window-style in G3 and on, skill point costs start to grow (and are lower initially) in G2 and on, the Parry skill is introduced in G2 and Endurance's effect is augmented in several games, the Stun system changes in G4 (I think), and the balance improves terrifically in G4 and G5.

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES

All of these things change. The inventory goes window-style in G3 and on, skill point costs start to grow (and are lower initially) in G2 and on, the Parry skill is introduced in G2 and Endurance's effect is augmented in several games, the Stun system changes in G4 (I think), and the balance improves terrifically in G4 and G5.

Oh, no need to tell me that (though I'd forgotten the specifics, thank you for the reminder on that front) - I've played through the whole series after all.

By the time we get to Geneforge 5, most all these problems evaporate. On top of that, the spells get flasher, the creations mightier, the weapons get cooler, and I've a weakness for Dragons and artificial dragon substitutes like the Drakkon, so there's that too. More classes, concepts, and you can really see the system get polished and progress.

That said, seeing Geneforge cast in the mold of Avadon would still be thrilling. Not that I don't like Avadon, mind you, but Geneforge is just so unique it feels all the more iconic to Spiderweb. Also, even after going the extra mile, the end of Avadon felt more like a "PREPARE FOR THE SEQUEL, DUN DUN DAAAAAH!!!" ending than the more well rounded closure of, say, the Avernum series.

Except 5, but I still liked 5 the best out of the second trilogy.