Why A1 is better than A4

Sure it's been covered before here, but I just have to say that I now understand why some of the old Avernum fans were complaining about A4. A1 is just plain cool.

Bigger, more varied world--cool

Lots of secret doors--cool

Light doesn't work in some areas--cool

Spell Points all drained before Adze-Hakaai--cool

Creatures you can't just mindlessly target and blow to bits (black shades and guardians)--cool

Walking on Lava--cool

Dumbfounding--cool

Random arrangement of party at beginning of combat--cool

Dungeon puzzles (teleporters, wheels, runes)--cool

Goblin puzzle ("pierce them both")--way cool

Bailisks that ACTUALLY TURN YOU TO STONE--cool

Dykes--cool

I miss anything?

I'm sure all of this is the case, but A4 was my first Spiderweb game and I love it to death. I played through it at least 3-4 times. I know that if you have played A3, A4 can seem repetitive and predictable, but if you are new to the series you are like WHOA WHO IS THIS RENTAR GUY I MUST STOP HIS VERY ORIGINAL AND EVIL PLOT.

It's already pretty ridiculous that Rentar was able to unleash 6 different plagues over an entire continent given her limited amount of resources. It'd be even more ridiculous if she tried to do it in a more densely populated area where she'd have fewer secret spots to work in and a lot more soldiers around to hunt her and her plagues down.

Dikiyoba.

Yes but she wouldn't be tracked down. May I remind you that the vahnatai are miles and miles under exile? And that exile is miles and miles below Upper exile? and besides the capital of the empire would have to come valorim to even be over exile. So even if the plaugues did get killed out on the main empire contanent (witch is not likely unless they send army after army agaisnt the alien beasts) They wont get to rentar, unless they find the lower vahnatai lands. For the first part of your statement of Rentar having the resources, There are MANY MANY vahnatai coming out of hybernation, and who knows how many cave systems they are in without knowing? So she would have the resources of many crystals, many vahnatai mages, and many soul crystals.

Whew thats the longest most informational post i ever made!

post# 291

But keep in mind that Rentar-Ihrno isn't operating out of her old home in Egli. The vahnatai following Rentar are all in the vahnatai lands under Tinraya, presumably because even Rentar-Ihrno can't manage to destroy the surface without a relatively nearby base of operations. Your party doesn't hunt her down in the vahnatai homeland, they hunt her down in what seems to be a relatively new settlement.

It's also fairly clear that while a sizable portion of her clan follows her, not all of them do, and many vahnatai aren't part of the Olgai clan at all. Rentar uses all the resources she has at her disposal, and while does substantial damage to Valorim, Valorim is the wild frontier of the Empire. It doesn't have the bulk of the Empire's martial or magical forces within it.

—Alorael, who can't rule out that Rentar lashed out at the closest part of the Empire, which was Valorim. Still, her strike isn't even all that effective there. The capitals of the provinces are damaged, but they survive. It's only backwaters that are completely destroyed. Trying the same thing against a more densely settled and heavily protected area, especially one without wilderness in which to hide monster factories, would be a losing proposition.

Which is, all told, something I quite like about Jeff's games, especially in comparison to Japanese RPGs. The stakes are always high, there's war and strife, thousand or even millions of lives are on the line, but it's not always about The End Of The World. The presence of so many stories about armageddon devalues the concept, at least to me.

Actually, i think i do know the name of the empires old home continent before the capital got moved some where else. Let me dig it up and ill tell you in a few seconds.

Ok i got it, its called pralgad, heres all its information

http://webspace.webring.com/people/qf/falcatta/maps/Pralgad.html

Yes. It says that on the site i linked a while ago...

THE LANDS OF THE EMPIRE

The Empire, blessed power over us all, controls the four known continents. Aizo, the oldest, is the birthplace of the Empire, although the ruling seat is now on the continent of Pralgad.

Vantanas is the smallest continent, but in many ways the richest, with its hot climate, fascinating fauna, and rich stores of gold and diamonds. And finally, there is the recently settled Valorim, which has a wild (though controlled) spirit.

Originally Posted By: madrigan
I'm sure all of this is the case, but A4 was my first Spiderweb game and I love it to death. I played through it at least 3-4 times. I know that if you have played A3, A4 can seem repetitive and predictable, but if you are new to the series you are like WHOA WHO IS THIS RENTAR GUY I MUST STOP HIS VERY ORIGINAL AND EVIL PLOT.

Yeah, I loved A4 too, and I felt much the way you did about the plot. I was hooked so much that I slept 4 hours and consumed all of 2 glasses of water (no food) in the first 24 hours after downloading the game.

And that just got me most of the way through the demo area.

Thinking about this topic after my post, I found myself feeling nostalgic for that plot. But even though A1 isn't as smooth, even though the plot's a bit thin, it has this coolness factor that A4 doesn't have. Kind of like LPs versus CDs. So I'm looking forward to A2 and A3.

Other name changes off the top of my head:

Carol Hamer has appeared as Carol ("of the Hamer clan"), and as Hamer.

The clearance archivist at the Castle was Gilda and Radner in X2 (forget which was which).

Edit: dragon gender changes -- I love linking to this page:

http://encyclopedia.ermarian.net/wiki/Talk:Dragons

It's pretty rare that the dragons refer to their own gender, so it's not an issue of them lying. Pronouns DO appear outside of quotes, which pretty much makes it an issue of the PCs misconstruing things. Which, as mentioned, is understandable. Although why the Exile 2 PCs -- who otherwise seem to be the most competent group of PCs in any SW game -- would assume a brooding dragon is male is beyond me.

A1 - A3 were mature products, their story line having been developed from the Exile series. The game engine which started in A1 and matured in A3 was powerful enough an flexible enough to spawn a new generation of games designed and built by the player community (a la Blades of Exile).

When I first started playing A4, the 'flat' environment seemed primitive compared to the endless things you could do with stairways and portals in A3 and BoA. No boats, no horses in A4.

The one thing A4 does bring to the table is Jeff's ability to write a RPG that is more than just one battle after another. As with all the games he has written, it has a complex story line that is more important than any combat scene. This is what makes the Avernum series (and the Exile's) so re-playable, just as a good book is worth re-reading, or a good movie is worth re-watching.

The thing that makes A3 so huge is all its options. It has Upper exile and valorim. And valorim is about 5 times the size of exile, maybe more. And then there are the Vahnatai lands where rentar ihrno is. It has Lots and lots of spells. It also has many items you can use, the blessed athame, the demon slayer (Have to get by editor), Orb of thralni, and the returning jewl. The thing that tipped it off over the edge is the ever rare Xian items. And what does A4 have? Sure the teleportation between towns is cool. And the portals too.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
A1 - A3 were mature products, their story line having been developed from the Exile series. The game engine which started in Nethergate and matured in A3 was powerful enough an flexible enough to spawn a new generation of games designed and built by the player community (a la Blades of Exile).

FYT

The one thing A4 does bring to the table is Jeff's ability to write a RPG that is more than just one battle after another. As with all the games he has written, it has a complex story line that is more important than any combat scene. This is what makes the Avernum series (and the Exile's) so re-playable, just as a good book is worth re-reading, or a good movie is worth re-watching.
This is an interesting perspective. Storyline is the thing that A4 is most frequently criticized over, at least among SW fans, due to the predictability of the plot, its similarity to A3, and the relative lifelessness of characters compared to previous games.

I agree that A4 has the weakest story line of the series. However, I still would like to credit Jeff for his creativity in this regard. IMO, even the least of his games is superior to all the other bang-bang-shoot-em-ups that flood the market.

Not really a fair comparison. Spiderweb games are RPGs. There are exceptions, but in general, RPGs focus heavily on story.

• 1 month later...