Warrior's Grove Scenario Contest

A while back I made a post in the New Contest Ideas thread suggesting a contest where each of the contestants has to make a scenario taking place in the starter town, Warrior's Grove, and without changing any terrain, but the contestants are allowed to add as many characters, items and special encounters as they want in order to make an original scenario. The idea is that the scenarios would be short, and not a lot of work to make.

After thinking the idea over I decided to make a few changes to the original rules. The new rules are as follows:

1. The scenario must take place in the starter town, Warrior's Grove. The town boundaries will be set to the edge of town so the party cannot access any outdoor sections.

2. You are allowed to make 5 changes to the terrain of Warrior's Grove. A "change" would constitute modifying a single tile, not a larger area. These changes would mainly be for adding entrances to your second town. You can also make changes to the default graphics. Each graphics change counts as 2 changes, unless the custom graphic only appears once in the town. Torches are a free terrain, so you can add as many torches to the town as you need.

3. You can make as many changes as you want to characters, items, encounters, and scripts. The only changes that count towards the 5 are changes to floors, terrain and graphics inside of the starter town. Sign text can also be changed without counting to your 5 changes.

4. You are allowed 1 large-size town of your own, which can be connected to Warrior's grove by using the move_to_new_town() call. There are no restrictions regarding custom graphics, terrains or characters used in this town.

If you think anything about the rules should be changed or clarified, say so.

I have created a very simple Warrior's Grove scenario entitled Bats in the Belfry. It can be downloaded here. (Same version for Mac and PC since there's no custom graphics.) Obviously I didn't put a ton of work into it; its sole purpose is to illustrate the concept of a Warrior's Grove scenario. It should take five minutes or less to beat.

Would anyone be interested in participating in/judging for such a contest? If not, what are some other contest ideas?

Quote:
Would "changes" encompass moving or deleting characters and doing other non-terrain related things?

The idea is that you can make as many changes as you want to everything but the terrain. You can do whatever you want as far as creatures, items and encounters. You could even change the text on signs if you wanted to.

Quote:
Do "changes" include graphical tweaks? Like, swap out a wallset, replace all the default trees...

I think a few small graphical changes like this should be allowed. The point of this contest is to produce fun and creative scenarios, and if you need a little change of scenery to make that happen then go for it. Just try not to go overboard and completely overhaul everything. tongue

Originally Posted By: Duck in His Old Hat
Quote:
Do "changes" include graphical tweaks? Like, swap out a wallset, replace all the default trees...

I think a few small graphical changes like this should be allowed. The point of this contest is to produce fun and creative scenarios, and if you need a little change of scenery to make that happen then go for it. Just try not to go overboard and completely overhaul everything. tongue

That sounds like a good policy, as I understand that the idea is to create a level playing field for making scenarios that don't involve a lot of laborious terrain drawing (and also so that experienced designers don't completely steamroll the beginners using technically detailed ideas).

I'm not sure if I'll enter or not (as this will depend on whether I can think of an idea for a scenario), but if I don't enter and another judge is needed I would be happy to help out in that way. (And, in the spirit of the first part of the post, if I do enter I won't try to subvert the rules by overwriting the all terrain at run-time. tongue )

Quote:
So... replacing all the default trees counts as how many changes?

I think that every edited graphic should count as 2 of your terrain changes, since graphic changes would affect more than one square of terrain. Each change would be one graphic icon, not a whole sheet.

However, if you want to make a terrain with a custom graphic to place as one of your 5 changes that would only count as 1 change since it's only affecting one square. And, of course, you can use as many custom graphics as you want in your second town.

Quote:
Do changing signs count as changes? What about that pointless sign inside of the inn that should be outside?

Changing signs will not count as changes, since there's more than 5 and if you want to change one of them you will most likely want to change all of them. However, if you want to add a sign or delete a sign that would count as a change.

Quote:
Are you accepting BoE scenarios too, or is it exclusively for BoA?

Like Dintiradan said, BoE scenarios will most likely not be accepted unless we have volunteers who can judge for BoE.

Why not just make one of the judging criteria, like, "adherence to the original?" Set up a rubric, or something, like:

(Final score) = [(Adherence) * (Quality)] / 100

Where "Adherence" and "Quality" are scales ranging from 1-10. (So, if your scenario is garbage, adherence won't matter; and if your scenario doesn't adhere to the original at all, quality won't matter.) I dunno.

I would like to participate, but I'm leaning towards helping by judging rather than designing. (I don't have an idea for an entry, and I feel that I'm at the point where if I'm going to make a scenario it's more like a disservice to the community if I don't put my skills to work and make it substantial.)

If, however, there is a surplus of useless types like myself who will only stand around and criticize others' work without designing anything, I could probably be talked into making an entry. (Timing might be a little tricky for me, since I'll be super busy in late June because I've gotten roped into helping run training at work at that time, but I should be able to manage.)

Originally Posted By: Niemand
(I don't have an idea for an entry and I feel that I'm at the point where if I'm going to make a scenario it's more like a disservice to the community if I don't put my skills to work and make it substantial.)

Does anybody here have an idea for an entry? tongue I was planning on making it up as I went along. Though yes - as, I suppose, an "adept" designer, I probably should make something more.

If I had to enter, I could retrofit an idea I had for a D&D session into a scenario. It would take some thinking to convert it from Unfinished Setting That I Would Never Get To Use #43 to the Avernum universe, but it would be doable.

If I were to touch BoA again, it would probably be to finish existing projects. Like Niemand, I can judge if judges are needed, and enter if entries are really needed.

As I've said, I'm hot on the trail of one of my own projects and I'd like to get through it before starting something else. If I can get my next scenario to beta before June I might be able to participate, but I have a lot of work ahead of me before I can beta.

If I don't make it, I can judge.

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
Originally Posted By: Niemand
(I don't have an idea for an entry and I feel that I'm at the point where if I'm going to make a scenario it's more like a disservice to the community if I don't put my skills to work and make it substantial.)

Does anybody here have an idea for an entry? tongue I was planning on making it up as I went along. Though yes - as, I suppose, an "adept" designer, I probably should make something more.

I actually do, but I just have to get around making it.

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
I was planning on making it up as I went along. Though yes - as, I suppose, an "adept" designer, I probably should make something more.

We need plans? Oh god.

Also, yeah. Nothing is really possible for me until June. Work is in major super epic actually-pretty-unreasonable crunch mode.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can we get a "free" edit to remove that stupid "step here to end the scenario" nonsense? If the gates are the "end" of the scenario, then having the cart there is awkward and redundant; but getting rid of it brings the remaining edits to, like, 2.

And while we're at it, that "spider-in-secret-passage" only has ONE of the two entry spaces blocked to monsters, so the spider could conceivably wander out. Also, the inn has its sign ON THE INSIDE.

@Handyman: The only edits that count towards your 5 are edits of the terrain and graphics. If you want to get rid of the special encounter to leave the scenario, you're free to do so. However, getting rid of the cart would count as two terrain changes so you might as well just leave it as decoration for the town. As for the spider problem, you could either add another blocked square, or get rid of the spider and webs entirely, since those are both free changes.

Those of you who expressed interest in joining but haven't yet replied if the days work for you, please do.