Warrior's Grove Scenario Contest

Alright, I'm in. Let's freakin' do this! I've got too many unfinished pieces on my hard drive. This needs to be remedied, and this is as good a place to start as any.

Might I recommend editing the first post with all the official rulings? There seem to have been a lot of them.

I can start whenever.

Also, one question because this is a major pet peeve of mine, and something I have tried to avoid for years. At the edges of Warrior's Grove, there are a lot of floor tiles at the edge with frills on them that then repeat out to infinity. Can I please just replace the edge grass tiles with basic no-frills grass, or does each of those still count? It's gonna drive me insane. tongue

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Can I please just replace the edge grass tiles with basic no-frills grass, or does each of those still count? It's gonna drive me insane.

Seconded.

I hate this so much that in recent versions of the Mac editor I've altered the frill function to ignore the edges when they are set to repeat, but obviously that was a bit too late for Warrior's Grove.

As for extending the deadline: It's okay with me, as I haven't really started yet myself (although I had meant to). Just make sure we don't let it keep moving; we should get this done and not let it drag on.

Just a heads up, the contest begins tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

Edit: I've made an email account on gmail for the judging. The address is warriorsgrove@gmail.com and all entries should be sent to that address. Anyone who wants to volunteer to judge, post here and I'll PM you the password.

Originally Posted By: Ephesos
Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
Doesn't look like I'll be doing this one... especially since I've yet to officially release my last one. <_<

That is not a good excuse to not do this one. It is a good excuse to do this one, and release your last one.
Because starting new projects at every opportunity and trying to release both existing and new projects has worked great for me!

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
Because starting new projects at every opportunity and trying to release both existing and new projects has worked great for me!

To be fair, I interpreted the original post as meaning the old one was done. Since it was part of a contest after all.

Question:

Warriors Grove sucks - there are no windows, or light sources present in town. My scenario is to take place at night, and placing torches would use up more than my 5 allowed changes. Can I place torches in the editor, and then delete them in the town script in order to create light-filled rooms without using light-emitting terrains?

(If not, I guess I can work around it by making all chairs emit one square of light, or something, but it seems kind of ridiculous to take the long way around.)

I'm trudging along. It's mostly dialogue (and most of that is pointless), a few creature scripts, the end, and a side quest or two that's left. I made the mistake of playing through what I've finished while exhausted and grumpy, so now I'm not sure what to think about my scenario anymore.

Originally Posted By: Dintiradan
If I had to enter, I could retrofit an idea I had for a D&D session into a scenario. It would take some thinking to convert it from Unfinished Setting That I Would Never Get To Use #43 to the Avernum universe, but it would be doable.
I still haven't started anything, and still haven't come up with a good way to apply my idea to WG and BoA, and yet I'm still toying with the idea of participating.

I dunno. I still have two other BoA-related things I want to get done. Do I really want to push another thing onto the stack that doesn't ever get finished?

We'll see.

Gah. I greatly regret that I'm going to have to withdraw from this contest. I was going to put some serious work into my as-yet-unbegun entry this weekend, but yet another in a series of urgent tasks for work has popped up and consumed the whole weekend so far, with no sign of relenting. (For related reasons I have now developed a hatred for convolutions. I seem to come out badly every time I tangle with digital signal processing, possibly because I'm largely clueless about it.)

• 1 month later...