One-PC Parties Rule

I just replayed Nethergate as a 1PC Roman. I have slain Reptrakos, the Raven, Hagfen, the Faerie Bazaar (by way of hunting everybody in it down like dogs), Vanarium, the Hollow Hills, Selkiehome, and practically every other friendly town in the game. By game's end, Faerie Warriors had a 0% chance to hit me (and once, a Fomorian threw a javelin my way with -90% accuracy!) and Faerie Warriors with the fire scepters did no damage to me.

Question, though- is it as easy with Celts?

• 1 month later...

I think it'd be easier to be a Roman singleton than a Celt singleton. I've never been terribly good at singletons, but it seems like you'd only need the ability to cast some very basic spells as a Roman, because Romans don't get good high-level spells anyway. Celts kind of do.

A Celtic duo works really well, though. That is, a fighter and a magic-user. That was probably my favorite way to beat the game.

I haven't even tried to play with singletons, but here are my utterly untested thoughts. A Roman singleton warrior with minimal druidic abilities can simply crush, kill, and destroy, as you found. A lone Celt doesn't have the melee power to do that, but since Celts don't really have any armor anyway, a half decent warrior with druid spells is feasible.

Basically, one could kill weak or almost dead enemies with a sword or spear and plenty of Battle Rage and use spells to kill things and to stay healthy and buffed. It would be a skill balancing act for a long time and it would require large stocks of potions, but once the character learns Hero of Old it should become a walk in the park.

—Alorael, who figures he need not mention the (bug-abusing) method for starting off with Hero of Old. If you do that you really shouldn't have much trouble past the very early parts of the game.

NAME - LEGION

HP - 99

STR - 30 (28)

DEX - 15 (13)

INT - 3 (2)

END - 15 (12)

MW - 20 (9)

SP - 14 (3)

JAV - 13 (8)

SLI - 5 (0)

ARM - 7 (4)

HRD - 28 (23)

DEF - 26 (21)

ROM - 8 (8)

DRU - 1 (0)

HS - 0 (0)

WS - 0 (0)

AID - 0 (0)

HCR - 0 (0)

TUS - 8 (4)

WCR - 0 (0)

BTR - 1 (0)

LCK - 19 (19)

----

Truly, a man among armies.

• 2 weeks later...

I did a Celt one-PC playthrough quite a while back, and from what I recall it was pretty easy. I did abuse bugs a bit (the Druid skills character creation one and also the fact that summoned creatures can be killed for free experience), but relying heavily on multi-target magic and Berserk (you have to be very strategic, though, to make sure that you only fight enemies one at a time--staying out of fight mode helps for that sometimes) is very effective. Once you've cleared out the first goblin lair, the rest of the game should not be too difficult.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I didn't find celts hard to play as at all, I played it as follows: I'd have 2 warriors in the front, followed by 2 druids (give all initial skill points to druid skills for spells learned, with 1 with as high as possible in spirit circle, other with 6 in craft, and add most points to those until you have 8 in all circles. Later on I eventually gave 8 in health and war to the warriors and found them being able to start combat by hasting and blessing themselves was a big help.

I once started a game as a solo Celt lady, but had pumped up her stats to the max using the character editor. But after a while I couldn't resist adding more female characters, as well as picking up that Brigit woman in Vanarium. And, of course, just to keep things exciting, I pumped all of their stats too.

Great kinky fun. I called them "Charlie's Angels."

I'll have to do a proper one-PC party some day. I've tried it with Nethergate and Avernum 3, but each time I ended up giving them steroids by clicking on the up arrows in the character editor. And it always starts out so innocently. I figure "Well, I keep getting wasted here at the beginning, and I'm too lazy to try to change my strategy, so I'll just add a couple of little stat modifications to make things just that wee bit easier." Before I know it, I've turned my level 1 generic character into an omnipotent wizard/priest/barbarian sword-slinger.

I bet this is exactly how Barzahl started out. "Oh, I'll just tinker with this here drayk to make his teeth a little sharper..."

I've won as a solo Roman and after the first dungeon or two, it got easier than a group adventure. I'm now starting as a solo Celt and have finished the Pits. We'll see how it goes later on with the armor limitation - with a solo Roman you didn't have to worry much about damage.