Nethergate News

A Comparison of Three Dialogue Systems:

----

1) So, yeah. There's these goblins and they're hiding in some sort of stereotypical abandoned mine, would you go slaughter them without remorse? The reward would be great.

Goblins?

Mine?

Reward?

2) So, yeah. There's these goblins and they're hiding in some sort of stereotypical abandoned mine, would you go slaughter them without remorse? The reward would be great.

Can you tell me more about the Goblins?

Why is the mine abandoned?

What sort of a reward would there be?

3) So, yeah. There's these goblins and they're hiding in some sort of stereotypical abandoned mine, would you go slaughter them without remorse? The reward would be great.

Can you tell me more about the Goblins?

Goblins?

Why is the mine abandoned?

Mine?

What sort of a reward would there be?

Reward?

-----

The keyword system is not a good approximation of natural language, can cause people to miss essential details (though not in Nethergate), and might lower your sperm count.

Quote:
Originally written by The][Editbreaker:
The keyword system is not a good approximation of natural language, can cause people to miss essential details (though not in Nethergate), and might lower your sperm count.
It does allow people to ask semi-original questions, though. I came to appreciate (and be a little frustrated with) the Exile dialogue system in the BoE scenario The Election, which could not work nearly as well in an Avernum game, because it relies partly on the player guessing what the appropriate response is. You have to come up with arguments (which was the cool part) and figure out the keywords for those arguments (which was the annoying part).

I think the newer dialogue system is much better than the old one, primarily because it so much more precise. There is no need to worry about a single keyword meaning several things or taking things out of context. However, I do wish there were an option in all conversations to bring up a text match box so that riddles can be a little more streamlined. The worst possible way to do riddles was of course in A3 where Jeff simply gave the answers in the options.

I think the big question is whether this hint of his will really come to fruition. I mean, Nethergate has been left to fare on its own for years, so what has changed now for active focus to be brought back to it?

Quote:
Originally written by Garrison:
The worst possible way to do riddles was of course in A3 where Jeff simply gave the answers in the options.
Jeff did this for a reason; apparently, he got more requests for help about the riddles, even the really easy ones, than about any other single part of the Exile series.

As a result, there probably won't be too many riddles in any of his future games.

Riddles/Puzzles only really belong in adventure games or board games anyway, not in RPGs.

It is much more believable that an archmage would have powerful wards, traps and/or competent guardians to protect his possessions instead of relying on some silly floor puzzle or guessing game.

Good puzzles can be integrated meaningfully. While the lasers seemed a bit out of place in Avernum on the whole, moving around mirrors to play with lasers actually made a fair amount of sense. That kind of puzzle works just fine. Riddles work only rarely, but I wouldn't want to categorically reject them.

—Alorael, who in fact wishes the crystal in the Golem Factory were indestructible except for laser beams. Make people think!

If the given context calls for a puzzle and it makes sense to do so (meaning it wouldn't be more logical just to have a clever trap or ward instead to serve the same purpose), then I have no problem with it.

When puzzles and riddles are put into games randomly (just because..) is when I have a problem with it.

In most cases riddles and the like feel like filler and out of context most of the time.

The mirror puzzles in Avernum are actually a good example of what I am getting at. As you said they felt out of context for the fantasy setting for one. Secondly, moving those mirrors around while dodging those lasers to get them in their correct positions turned out to be quite tedious and frustrating..Anything but fun which defeats the purpose of a game anyways...

Logically, it would make much more sense that there would be a control panel on the sources themselves that would allow the lasers to be turned off so that the mirrors could be moved around safely. After they are in position, the lasers can be turned on again.

But it so happens conveniently you can't do that.. Thought it doesn't make much sense why you couldn't aside from thinking that it would make a "good" puzzle (although I didn't think so). I mean , does it make much sense that the vahnatai would be moving their own mirrors around in those precarious conditions?

The problem with many puzzles in RPGs is that designers make them solely to give the player a challenge, with no consideration as to how reasonable the puzzle is given the context and setting. Who knows why? If more puzzles were made that would fulfill the dual-purpose of being believable as well as challenging then I wouldn't have as much problem with them.

I always like the riddles and puzzles in Exile. I though the tests in Avernum 2 where the intelligence was replaced with patience was a weak point. Pushing around a crate where it didn't fall off the ledges when it was supposed to was a flaw.

The Nethergate dialog method is tedious in going through all the choices to be sure you don't miss some information.