The Cradle

Mac/Windows

Author: Benjamin Earles

Difficulty: 15-18

Rating:

Version: 1.0.1

[composite=eyJ0aXRsZSI6IlRoZSBDcmFkbGUiLCJ0aWQiOiIxNDkxMiIsInRhZ3MiOlsiYXZlcm51bSB1bml2ZXJzZSIsImxpbmVhciIsInNlcmlvdXMiLCJzaG9ydCJdLCJiZ2FzcCI6eyI1IjowLCI0IjoxLCIzIjoxLCIyIjowLCIxIjowfX0=]

Composite Score: 3.5/5.0

Best: 0.00% (0/2)

Good: 50.00% (1/2)

Average: 50.00% (1/2)

Substandard: 0.00% (0/2)

Poor: 0.00% (0/2)

[encouragenecro]

[/composite]

Keywords: Avernum Universe, Linear, Serious, Short

Edited by SylaeBot
Automated Sybot edit; worker IPB::csrThread/vanadium

• 1 year later...

Content: Quest order was linear. There's a fair bit of content here, with a lot of attention to detail.

Story: I found this scenario to have solid writing. The characters are all believable (the villain may have had a simple motive, but it still made sense). The stakes aren't "save the world" high, but they still work.

Pacing: The beginning quests aren't all that interesting, pretty generic. But the action picks up once you enter the fort. Overall, the scenario kept excitement high.

Combat: I don't remember any complaints about combat. You do spend a lot of time fighting one type of monster, so variety might be an issue for you. There are stretches where you aren't able to rest, but I don't remember this being a deal-breaker for me.

Scripting: The first time I played the scenario, I didn't trigger the end of the scenario correctly. When I loaded a save and played again, I wasn't able to reproduce the bug. Sorry I can't be of any more help than that. Seeing that no one else has complained about such a bug, it might be a problem on my end.

Aesthetics: I'm torn about the titular Cradle. On the one hand, the narrow paths and the tall trees make it look like an unkempt paradise. On the other hand, it makes navigation very difficult. Town design was pretty good on the whole; the graveyard could have been more compact, though.

Overall: Well written and enjoyable. [rating]GOOD[/rating]

• 2 years later...