A Cheat to Make Secret Switches More Visible

Jerakeen

WARNING: This thread contains information about modifying your game files. If you modify your game, it may change in ways you don't expect or want. These modifications are not designed or supported by Spiderweb Software. Use at your own risk.

I wasn't going to post this, because it's really a humongous cheat, but based on some of the discussions here I think it may improve some people's gaming experience.

And you don't have to use it if you don't want to.

Windows: Open the Avadon Files folder and then the Scripts folder.

Mac: Right-click on the Avadon icon and select "Show Package Contents". Open the Contents folder and then the Resources folder.

Now find and open avobjsmisc.txt (make a back-up copy first, as always) and find this:

Code:

begindefineobject 202; import = 90; ob_object_type = 11; ob_name = "Secret Door"; ob_graphic_template = 7; ob_graphic_sheet = 0; ob_base_icon_num = 6; ob_default_script = "secdoor";begindefineobject 203; import = 91; ob_object_type = 11; ob_name = "Secret Door"; ob_graphic_template = 7; ob_graphic_sheet = 0; ob_base_icon_num = 7; ob_default_script = "secdoor";

Change it so it looks like this (two extra lines added):

Code:

begindefineobject 202; import = 90; ob_object_type = 11; ob_name = "Secret Door"; ob_graphic_template = 7; ob_graphic_sheet = 0; ob_base_icon_num = 6; ob_default_script = "secdoor"; ob_graphic_effect = 13;begindefineobject 203; import = 91; ob_object_type = 11; ob_name = "Secret Door"; ob_graphic_template = 7; ob_graphic_sheet = 0; ob_base_icon_num = 7; ob_default_script = "secdoor"; ob_graphic_effect = 13;

Secret door switches will now have small sparkles in their vicinity. You will still have to look out for them, but at least it will be possible.

If you want to make them even more obvious, use graphic effect # 15; switches will emit puffs of smoke.

To make them absolutely impossible to miss, use graphic effect # 11 (courtesy of Kiread); wild and crazy lightning? Steam? Anyway, it will definitely get your attention.

Note that because this edit makes use of animation effects, it will only work if you have the graphics on the highest setting.

It was previously thought that the Mac App Store version of the game could not be modified, but at least one person has reported successfully doing so. You may need to enter the admin password to replace the original files with the editor files.

Mac users who have the Steam version: if you're having trouble finding the game files, see this post.

Edited by Lilith
added warning

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That graphic file just contains little graphics. Part of the file is used for various graphics, it's not a working template within the game. Sort of like with scale models and such, when little parts come in a large sheet and you punch them out and assemble them.

At least, that's my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
So the Windows version is packaged the way Mac v1.0 was, with a separate Avadon files folder, containing a scripts folder? If so, I'll update the instructions, as soon as anyone confirms that the edit works.

The edit works like a charm in the Windows version, never would have seen the switch in the storeroom without the sparks flying around.

Good job Turtle.

This edit makes use of effects that are already programmed into the engine.

To make an arrow appear on the wall would require altering the graphic, which could be done, I guess, but it would be more complicated.

I don't know what you'd have to do to make a floating arrow appear like it does for hostiles, but I do know that it would be way beyond my abilities.

May I suggest the puffs of smoke? They really are quite obvious.

• 2 weeks later...

Does right-clicking on the Avadon icon let you "Show Package Contents" with Windows? If so, try that. If you see a folder called "Contents", open it and then the "Resources" folder. The file will be in there.

If not, maybe someone more familiar with Windows can help you out. The file is in there somewhere. smile

Ok, the Avadon folder is in a folder called Spiderweb Software. Inside the Avadon folder is Save folders (Save01, Save02, etc.) and 1 file called AvadonSettings.dat. Inside each save folder is header, data, journal, and items.

Under the start menu under Avadon is: Avadon(.exe), Avadon Instructions, Order Avadon Now, Unistall Avadon, and Map of Lynaeus.

Any more suggestions?

Maybe I'll get a bashing for this and I really don't want to spoil the fun of cheating and programming, but I just can't restrain myself from asking this:

Did anyone try the candles, lanterns and lamps?

Avadon seems much brighter than some areas in Avernum and therefore the temptation to ignore them is quite high.

I did ignore these tools for a while and therefore missed the secret switch in the Avadon Dungeon, but since I've started using lamps I don't have a lot of trouble in finding the switches – admittedly with the exception of chequered brick walls like in the Avadon dungeon…

blush

Originally Posted By: terra

what sucks is the fact that there are secret switches at all

I don't agree. It's half of the fun to have a game with secret passages and rooms, which can only be found, by finding secret switches, which should be a bit difficult to find.

Nothing against sparkling secret switches, if one chooses to have them. I enjoy the Wand of Many Disguises very much as well.

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
Did anyone try the candles, lanterns and lamps?

I have never used any sort of lighting equipment in a game that didn't feature complete or near-complete darkness.

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
It's half of the fun to have a game with secret passages and rooms, which can only be found, by finding secret switches, which should be a bit difficult to find.

The problem I have with the secret switches is that either I forget about them and miss every secret area, or I remember them and spend hours combing every inch of wall in every zone.