Exile 1 on Windows 7 (32 bit)

RosenVitae

Hey there smile I decided to join and make a post, since I didn't find anything on this after searches or looking over the first 10 pages.

Spiderweb homepage states that Exile Escape from the Pit (v2.0) won't work on Windows 7. However, it seems to run absolutely fine by me: I downloaded the game from the sticky on top this forum (the older image version) which unzips into a playable folder - no installation prompted. Also, I never needed to set any compatibility or "Run as Admin", it worked straight away. I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on my laptop (my stationary runs 64 bit, thus a no-go).

I only have one issue: I get occational crashes (30 seconds to 30 minutes playtime in between); mostly the window just closes, few other times the game becomes unresponsive. Usually this happens right after an actionsound in the game (spellcast, bowshot etc.)

I'm wondering why I would be the first to appear with this issue on this forum. Secondly I hope that perhaps someone here knows a solution :> My knowledge of software is on a petty know-how basis, but I theorize that this may be an instability of running a 16 bit program unprotected in a 32 bit enviroment?

Edit: I later tried with compatibility (XP and 95) as well as "Run as Administrator" to see if it helped avoid the crashes. It didn't help. At a point, I also tried to set "Run in 640x480" (to get the game screen more visible), but there was no change atall, which I find strange.

Thanks!

RosenVitae

Originally Posted By: RosenVitae
I'm wondering why I would be the first to appear with this issue on this forum.
Because Exile was originally released 17 years ago?

No, really, that's why. It's 17 years old, and there is a remake of it (Avernum) that's about 11 years old. Most people here have either played Avernum and have little interest in Exile, or played Exile long ago. Needless to say, given its age and the existence of a remake, Exile hasn't been advertised or promoted in over a decade.

It's a terrific game, but, yeah, it's not exactly a hot topic. smile

Originally Posted By: CRISIS on INFINITE SLARTIES
Because Exile was originally released 17 years ago?

At first I was "Haha", then I realized that you're right. Atleast in part smile

Well, I had the impression from the many Exile posts here that there was a clear distinction between the two games (Exile and Avernum). Nostalgia does make a critical few, but critical though it seems, I always tend to attract the right places and people with a little dedication ^^

Originally Posted By: RosenVitae
Spiderweb homepage states that Exile Escape from the Pit (v2.0) won't work on Windows 7. However, it seems to run absolutely fine by me: I downloaded the game from the sticky on top this forum (the older image version) which unzips into a playable folder - no installation prompted. Also, I never needed to set any compatibility or "Run as Admin", it worked straight away. I use Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit on my laptop (my stationary runs 64 bit, thus a no-go).

I only have one issue: I get occational crashes (30 seconds to 30 minutes playtime in between); mostly the window just closes, few other times the game becomes unresponsive. Usually this happens right after an actionsound in the game (spellcast, bowshot etc.)
Since you have 32-bit Win7 Ultimate, try playing the game in Windows XP Mode.

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Since you have 32-bit Win7 Ultimate, try playing the game in Windows XP Mode.

I should have mentioned smile I did try compatibility (XP and 95) along with "Run as Administrator" to see if this had an effect on the crashes. It didn't help smile I'll add this notion to my post.

Thankyou ^^