A Small Lockpick Cheat

Jerakeen

WARNING: This thread contains information about modifying your game files. If you modify your game, it may change in ways you don't expect or want. These modifications are not designed or supported by Spiderweb Software. Use at your own risk.

To me, lockpicks on the ground or tables are virtually invisible. Probably this was intentional, but hitting 'g' every 5 seconds gets old.

If, like me, you don't mind cheating a little in the interest of preventing eye strain, you can make them stand out more with a little script editing.

Windows: Open the Avadon Files folder and then the Scripts folder.

Mac: Right-click on the Avadon icon and select "Show Package Contents". Open the Contents folder and then the Resources folder.

Now find and open avitemschars.txt (always make a back-up copy of a script before editing, of course).

Find this:

Code:

// LOCKPICKS/TOOLSbegindefineitem 14; import = 0; it_name = "Lockpick"; it_variety = 13; it_graphic_template = 54; it_graphic_sheet = 2; it_which_icon_ground = 4; it_which_icon_inven = 5; it_charges = 1; it_value = 60; it_weight = 2;

Change it so it looks like this (one line added at the end):

Code:

// LOCKPICKS/TOOLSbegindefineitem 14; import = 0; it_name = "Lockpick"; it_variety = 13; it_graphic_template = 54; it_graphic_sheet = 2; it_which_icon_ground = 4; it_which_icon_inven = 5; it_charges = 1; it_value = 60; it_weight = 2; it_graphic_appearadj = 72;

Lockpicks will now glow like some magic items do. This makes them easier to spot, even against gray backgrounds.

Note that candles and lamps will also glow now. If you don't like that, just add a line to the next item in the script, so:

Code:

begindefineitem 15; it_name = "Candle"; it_variety = 9; it_graphic_template = 52; it_graphic_sheet = 9; it_which_icon_ground = 0; it_which_icon_inven = 1; it_value = 2; it_weight = 3; it_ability = 145; it_charges = 1; it_graphic_appearadj = 0;

As it's an animation effect, it probably won't work if you don't have the graphics at the highest setting.

It was previously thought that the Mac App Store version of the game could not be modified, but at least one person has reported successfully doing so. You may need to enter the admin password to replace the original files with the editor files.

Mac users with the Steam version: if you are having trouble finding the game files, see this post.

Edited by Lilith
added warning

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You guessed right-windows7. And similar to Daisy Munchkin,in the attatched, it won't let me replace the file once the change is made, even though I've taken over as administrator....Thanks for the tip about the admin. Right now I'm waiting for a friend to get back to me......

Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
I'm guessing you're on Windows? Some people have been having trouble saving changes to files. I don't know much about that

Basically, in Windows 7 (and if I recall correctly, Vista), the Program Files folder, and all folders and files within it, are protected from being written to, or changed. In theory it's a nice idea, but it often gets in the way of stuff like this (and more notably, BoA stuff).

Originally Posted By: Impudent Strumpet!
Originally Posted By: The Turtle Moves
I'm guessing you're on Windows? Some people have been having trouble saving changes to files. I don't know much about that

Basically, in Windows 7 (and if I recall correctly, Vista), the Program Files folder, and all folders and files within it, are protected from being written to, or changed. In theory it's a nice idea, but it often gets in the way of stuff like this (and more notably, BoA stuff).

Wait. I'm not on Windows, so help me understand the idiocy. When you first start up your computer and make your account, doesn't it default you to an admin? So shouldn't the primary account be able to edit all of the program files?

Originally Posted By: Master1

Wait. I'm not on Windows, so help me understand the idiocy. When you first start up your computer and make your account, doesn't it default you to an admin? So shouldn't the primary account be able to edit all of the program files?

Even when you're logged into an admin account, you have to specifically let the OS know that you really, really do want to invoke your admin privileges in this particular case before it lets you do so.

Originally Posted By: Master1
Wait. I'm not on Windows, so help me understand the idiocy. When you first start up your computer and make your account, doesn't it default you to an admin?

That was the idiocy. It left a gaping hole in security of personal computers, i.e. any program running under the normal user account had full admin access. It has always been recommended that users should log in under a non-admin account and only switch to admin when absolutely necessary e.g. to install programs. But few people ever did. So finally UAC was introduced as a way to address poor behaviour (by users, and by developers who got used to assuming all programs had admin access all the time). Now, logging in as an admin account doesn't give you admin rights anymore. Admin rights are only granted for specific tasks with the elevation prompt. (You can make it more secure by requiring password protection at the prompt.)

While operating as an admin may be a general security risk, it's really quite useful for those of us who know how to use computers. I suppose that the UAC prompt isn't all that different from the mac system other than the specific content that brings it up. Whenever I do a software update or anything of the sort, I have to enter my (admin) password.

• 1 month later...
Originally Posted By: Txgangsta

Edit2: It does say my access to save is denied. How do I get around it?

Right click on the Avadon Files folder and click properties. Go to the security tab. Hit the edit button and click on your user. Check the box that says "Full Control". Click ok and you will have access to rewrite or change the files.

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

The search function just takes me to avitemschars. Clicking on that gives me a screen completely full of print with no order at all, certainly not numbered. It doesn't look like the other file at all . You can scroll down and over but all you see is the entire screen filled with what looks to me of course like nonsense. looking for ' begindefineitem 14' is like looking for a needle in a haystack. avobjsmisc was just a column to scroll down until I found 202 and 203- easy.

Thanks for the help. Lilith you were right, wordpad did the job. As for the switches, I can't imagine anyone wanting to scroll over every possible wall surface looking for the switches. I wouldn't call these cheats, just improvements to the game!!! I remember Avernam 1 where you had to bump into the walls everywhere to find the hidden doors. That was really boring and I soon stopped looking. Thanks again.