This might be a little late.

Chai

Uh, hey guys.

Just casually playing through every scenario I can find after finally getting around to registering BoA, and just when I'm revelling in the drama-filled storyline of Exodus, I'm getting an unhandled exception error just after when that slith guy who's important to the storyline dies, and when the Goddess teleports you to wherever.

I haven't seen any posts in the BoA section in over a year, but hey, if anyone knows what's up with it, or how I could fix it so I could finally finish this.

And no, I'm not playing a god party.

Thanks in advance.

Huh, I had the same problem back when I give it my second go years ago. After a couple of TM scenarios I simply had to play a decent scenario again just to make sure it wasn't really me spouting all the psychobabble nonsense. (God, how I hate you, TM.)

Anyway, back to the point, I hit this bug that hadn't occurred on the first playthrough. So I restarted it, just to make sure. Hit it again and gave up. Couldn't figure out for the life of me what caused it; I had played through once sans bugs. I was using Win XP for all runs.

Can't tell you just how frustrated I was that I was stuck with all that post-post-postmodernist [censored] (or whatever TM's philosophy was at the time,) still stuck in my head. Oh well, I played Bahss over again with a seriously overpowered party.

I hit one of those while making Strange Gildra. I turned my code inside and out trying to figure out what was going on, but never came up with an answer. Eventually, when I redesigned the dungeon where it was occurring it just stopped happening. I don't know what I did different, but it worked.

Sorry I can't be of any help.

Unfortunately the Windows version of the game is a good deal more fragile, and will crash in some cases on things which are only errors (or may even not be errors) in the Mac version.

With enough work it should be possible to track down which of the code in that cutscene sequence triggers the crash, but it will be significantly harder for anyone who isn't Kelandon to do.

If Kelandon doesn't have the time or interest to work on this (it is possible that he just hasn't noticed this thread, though; maybe someone should PM him), I could try to look at it. Chai, I assume that you have a savefile at the point right before this, so if you want email me a copy of it (to niemandcwATgmailDOTcom) and I'll see if I can figure anything out. (I assume that you're playing the latest version of Exodus, 1.1.0?)

I thought Kelandon finally figured out what the problem was and was able to fix it; maybe that was a different error. All I could find from a quick search was the ugly hack I came up with when I played it ages ago. Hopefully, it works for everyone.

(Link)

Quote:
I ran into this bug as well, but it was so long ago that I don't remember exactly what I did. What I think I did was find my saved game right before the fight (save a backup copy in case I'm wrong), set flag(44,7) to 1 in the character editor (choose advanced features, then set stuff done flag, then enter the three numbers individually), and travel back to the slith camp. Hopefully, things should continue as they are supposed to from there.

Dikiyoba.

Totally didn't notice this. I did figure out what the problem was. Have to run off right now but will come back later today and update.

And by later today, I mean in a few minutes. If I remember correctly, the problem was the following code in t44Tower.txt:

Code:
i = 10;	while (i < 120) {		erase_char(i);		i = i + 1;		}

This comes right after the following code, which is more easily identifiable:

Code:
message_dialog("Seizing hold of you and Pithoss, the Goddess unleashes a bolt of magical energy shooting straight up into the sky. Then, in familiar fashion, you lift off the ground and begin to travel through the air, returning again to camp.","You travel the entire distance in silent contemplation, not even looking down well enough to see more than blank cave floor.");		set_flag(44,7,1);		i = 21;	while (i < 31) {		j = 17;		while (j < 21) {			set_floor(i,j,255);			set_terrain(i,j,0);			j = j + 1;			}		i = i + 1;		}

Anyway, if you change the problem area to the following, it should work:

Code:
i = 10;	while (i < 120) {		if (char_ok(i))			erase_char(i);		i = i + 1;		}

I don't think I have a convenient save file with which to verify that this works, but I think that the problem was that erasing characters that didn't exist to begin with was crashing Windows sometimes (it's the irregularity of it that's annoying).

Loyal Servile, once again, stop making these short and content-free posts. They contribute nothing to do the discussion and just add filler between meaningful posts. If you have nothing to add, don't post until you do!

—Alorael, who apologizes for cluttering the topic more.

Originally Posted By: Niemand
Just to note: It looks like there's a parenthesis missing in Kel's replacement code: "if (char_ok(i)" should be "if (char_ok(i))".

Thanks. Fixed above, so that if anyone else encounters this, it'll be correct in the original post.

I would be grateful if anyone could actually verify that this fix works, by the way. I'm not sure that this is actually the problem; I just think that it is.

It isn't entirely clear what you're asking, and it doesn't appear to be relevant to this thread.

To answer what I think you're asking, namely, do you need the full version of BoA to modify scenarios: Not technically, but yes practically. You can download and use the editor to make or edit scenarios (and you can edit scripts with any text editor) without owning the game, but if you do not own the game the only scenario you can play is Valley of the Dying Things.

If you have more to ask about this or I misunderstood your question (but it still doesn't relate to the original topic of this thread) please make a new thread to discuss this.