Annotated Maps are down

• 1 month later...

I just got into this discussion when I got an email from Derek Plote. I had scraped the website and was holding onto it in case something like this happened. I have loaded it up on my website Harehunter's Haven (http://hasenjs.byethost33.com/), at least until I get a request from Silver to take it down.

• 1 month later...

I ended up scraping your site for Avernum 2 and Avernum 3 maps just so if bad things happen and yours disappears, we'll still have copies. Your site was down a few times when I was playing through Avernum 2 so I wanted some offline copies for my own use anyway. I ended up way too reliant on the maps during my playthrough, and playing while the site was down was like going into battle with both arms missing or something. tongue

One minor thing I noticed were that there were some missing maps for Avernum 3. Monoroe Province, North Valorim, and Northwestern Valorim were missing or had broken links. I think one of those was even broken on Rache's site. Between your site and Rache's, I was able to find and repair them, though, so I imagine you'll have no trouble fixing them on your end.

Actually the maps are there, and on a Windows box the links are valid, so I never noticed one teensy little detail. Windows is not case-sensitive with regard to directory and file names; Unix is. Apparently that is the way I downloaded them, but never noticed because I run on a Windows box.

I am working on auditing my pages to make sure that I have URL's that match exactly.

Thanks for the catch.

Update: The offending pages have been repaired, and verified.

Sterno: I am pleased that my work is worth preserving. I scraped Silver's Avernum 1 for exactly the same reasons that you are. As long as this continues, Avernum will outlive even the youngest of us.

Originally Posted By: Harehunter
I scraped Silver's Avernum 1 for exactly the same reasons that you are. As long as this continues, Avernum will outlive even the youngest of us.

Future generations will be able to look back on us and say "they actually played this stuff"!
No disrespect is intended. Kids today scoff at some of the stuff some of us 'older' people played as kids. My nephew absolutely refuses to play any of my Nintendo NES games like Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Donkey Kong, Double Dragon, and TMNT 3: The Manhattan Project.
If he and other kids is like that after only 20 years, what are kids gonna be like in 60 or 70 years?

Post # 549 cool

As a rule, you are correct in your assessment. But there are a good number of youngsters who will seek the nostalgic. Consider, for example, the Society for Creative Anachronism.

Not many actually join, but many enjoy the experience of a Renaissance Fair. Scan the web for sites celebrating the Myst series of games. And Dungeons and Dragons lives on; not with the rage of popularity it had when it first came out, but there are still clubs to be found that meet on a regular basis.

As long as there remains interest in Sci-Fi and Fantasy there is hope for games such as these that provoke thought about different societies and exercise the brain with problem solving. Not all kids are cut out for physical sports. But those who have more of an intellectual bent will seek out these games that are not just point based, but they actually tell a story.