Spidweb on Mac App Store - maybe?

Ociporus

Since all the talk about Spiderweb games maybe being on Steam, do you think Jeff would put them on the Apple App Store?

Sounds like a great idea to me.

Personally, I intend to keep buying them directly from SpiderWeb so they get all the money. But probably a lot of people don't know about them and there could be some advantage to getting them "out there" on the App Store.

You can't really chastise people for failing to recognize acronyms without context. F1 means the key next to Escape to me, unless I have some reason to think otherwise. (Although I did have the suspicion that it probably isn't yet possible to buy replacement keyboard keys through Steam.)

Acronyms: Because the world need more name collisions.

(Possibly my favorite acronym collision to-date: I once came across a German Macintosh developer asking what the 'NS' prefix on most Cocoa names meant. This was a natural thing to wonder about, since although in Apple's history, this abbreviation means 'NeXTSTEP', in German history it usually means 'Nationalsozialismus'.)

Originally Posted By: Niemand
(Possibly my favorite acronym collision to-date: I once came across a German Macintosh developer asking what the 'NS' prefix on most Cocoa names meant. This was a natural thing to wonder about, since although in Apple's history, this abbreviation means 'NeXTSTEP', in German history it usually means 'Nationalsozialismus'.)

perhaps if he were not stupid, but a smarty, he would have been able to work it out

Originally Posted By: Lilith

perhaps if he were not stupid, but a smarty, he would have been able to work it out

Nice Mel Brooks reference there. Like it.

Yes. You'll need to enter it at the ATM Machine in order to buy an Automated Teller Machine. If you do that, I'd recommend that you buy one of the pricier models with an LCD Display, rather than one of the older ones with a CRT Tube. (It is much safer to use a screen which only shows pictures of other screens than one which functions by launching televisions.)

(Although I did have the suspicion that it probably isn't yet possible to buy replacement keyboard keys through Steam.)
This made me laugh.

(It is much safer to use a screen which only shows pictures of other screens than one which functions by launching televisions.)
This is also funny, even though I don't get it.

Wait, are you saying that Jeff's games are still written using the Carbon APIs on mac? If so he may need to update to Cocoa for 10.7 "Lion" anyway... I really wouldn't be surprised if Apple removed support from the next OS release.

Also, since the mac app store doesn't accept apps using deprecated APIs he would need to rewrite for Cocoa to get on there (i assume that's what randomizer's quote is referencing)

Concerning the original topic of spiderweb products being offered on the app store: Spiderweb games are being offered on apple's download recommendation site for quite some time already. I'd say that's quite adequate, wouldn't you. I can't get, why someone should want to play a real RPG as an app on the iphone. Even though the spiderweb graphics are still very simple. I think better wait till apple is able to provide a smart phone or pad with virtual vision, so that we can see the game really really big. Although thinking about being in a virtual version of Avernum makes me a bit queasy right away. It'll feel a bit bumpy too…

If you wanna know about the apple recommendations, here you can find one. It's marked as a staff pick' too… http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/role_strategy/avernum5.html

Also as an afterthought:

Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Ociporus
Personally, I intend to keep buying them directly from SpiderWeb so they get all the money.
Same here, though for me the main reason is that buying direct is easier, and I don't know if anyone other than Spiderweb sells the games on CD.
I really think one should see to giving Spiderweb all the money directly. They deserve all the credits for their work on developping really good fun-games, – for having stayed 'indie'. They provide games of a slightly different making, which I'd really like them to keep on doing. Therefore the support for their efforts should go to them as straightly as possible. Certainly it's fine, if other people find out about this wonderful little gameforge as well, so they can contribute to further success of spiderweb in spiderweb-style by buying the games directly of spiderweb and talking about the fun they had playing the games…

Originally Posted By: Tcheedchee
Concerning the original topic of spiderweb products being offered on the app store: Spiderweb games are being offered on apple's download recommendation site for quite some time already. I'd say that's quite adequate, wouldn't you. I can't get, why someone should want to play a real RPG as an app on the iphone. ...

You may have confused the iTunes App Store with the new Mac App Store. This thread (was originally) about distribution and not about porting Spiderweb games to new hardware.