What happened to Fire and Force Barrier Spells?

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am here to ask this question that's been bugging me. I'm sorry if it's been answered elsewhere (I searched and couldn't find it), but I'm wondering what happened to the Fire and Force Barrier spells, and the other field spells, from the original Exile games?

I remember loving these spells. They often played a huge part in my strategy. Being able to change the battle field with all the field spells made battle exciting and thought provoking.

I just read Jeff's post about the classes for his latest game, and I was disappointed to see the Sorceress was just a dpser. I'm hoping he'll reintroduce some sort of battlefield modifying spells, including permanent walls.

Anyone know what happened for Avernum?

Cheers!

Ah that's much of a pity. Creating permanent effects really set his mages apart from the typical class. As he says on his blog on Avadon:

"Sorceress

Nothing innovative here. ... I don't feel guilty about having some of the classes be very straightforward and what people are used to in RPGs. I want players to have the option to stay with what they are familiar and comfortable with. The fireball-flinging magic user became a fantasy archetype for a reason."

If he weaved these spell effects a strategy into the sorceress, it'd up their appeal quite a lot. There's something about giving the player that much control that is pleasing.

Is there a way to edit these spells back into Avernum? I completed Avernum 1 and I started playing Avernum 2 but then got really disenchanted after finding out they are not in any of the Avernums.