Character Portraits

Masquerade

I remember reading somewhere that Jeff doesn't have the time/funds/bother to make more than one character portrait for each character class, meaning that all sorcerers must be female, all shadowwalkers must be male ect but i have an idea. What if the game could corperate a bit of customisaton, eg there could be a prompt on the character creation screen to upload your own icn/portrait with instructionson how to do it, that way all the diehard gamers who must have the character exactly how they like it can and the normal gamers can just chin up and bear it.

I also had another idea, perhaps Jeff can take a cue from basilisk games and release and add-on pack or some sort of collectors edition for the game after its released, It could just have some new graphics and the odd quest or two inside,that way jeff can let Avadon make him some money first and maby give us all a treat if we buy it like good little fans tongue Just a thought.

The chances of Jeff making things easier to install mods, or having post-release downloadable content, is very, very small. However, if Avadon is anything like the Geneforge or later Avernum games, it will be easy to swap graphics in and out. A mod for PC graphics was done for Blades of Avernum by Dahak; no installation necessary, just copy the graphics into the game folder. Something similar could easily be done for Avadon. Just don't expect Jeff to support it.

It's harder for fans to make gameplay changes. You're pretty much limited to changing graphics, and changing the dialogue scripts. Fun if you want to change every instance of "Rentar-Ihrno" to "Billy-Bob", but not that useful for adding new quests.

Originally Posted By: Masquerade
eg there could be a prompt on the character creation screen to upload your own icn/portrait with instructionson how to do it, that way all the diehard gamers who must have the character exactly how they like it can and the normal gamers can just chin up and bear it.

Because if creating custom PC graphics was easy enough that the average player could do it, it would be more than easy enough for Jeff to do it himself.

Dikiyoba.

Originally Posted By: Dikiyoba

Because if creating custom PC graphics was easy enough that the average player could do it, it would be more than easy enough for Jeff to do it himself.

Dikiyoba.

People can do it but for those of us with minimal understanding of how all of the files work it is difficult. I just think a bit of customization will make the gameplay a bit more fun and let us get into our characters a bit more, like drawing your d&d characters as you play the game.

Originally Posted By: Masquerade
People can do it but for those of us with minimal understanding of how all of the files work it is difficult. I just think a bit of customization will make the gameplay a bit more fun and let us get into our characters a bit more, like drawing your d&d characters as you play the game.

Yes, you can change the portrait. What about the walking and combat icons?

Dikiyoba.

Quote:
Yes, you can change the portrait. What about the walking and combat icons?

Dikiyoba.

I dont think anybody here has the graphics skils to do that. I know its a patchwork job but i just thought having a limited level of customisation (really just an import custom icon button) and then you would just use the defalt 3d character avatar. Its not perfect but it would be nice just to have to option. Jeff did say this on the matter

Quote:
Letting the player choose any PC graphic for any class won't work because the weapons for each icons are dependent on the class. Allowing this choice would result in a ton of confusion and bug reports ("Why does my sword look like a wand?"). We will consider alternate ways to allow this, like graphic-altering cheat codes. That might be doable.