want to customize your characters?

I've always liked utilizing the custom portrait option in Baldur's Gate so I wondered if I could do the same thing for Avernum. So far the answer is yes in Avernum 2. I'm not sure if it will work in 1 though, the graphics data seems different. Here's an example:

customo.jpg

now to doing this is actually quite simple. Here's how:

Step 1: BACK UP YOUR FILES. you have to permanently edit the graphics file in Avernum, so naturally you want to back up the originals.

Step 2: go into your Avernum 2 file and open the data folder

step 3: find the G904 file(or just 904 in A3). this contains all the small portraits. You have to take the image you want and post it on top of the one you want to replace. try to make the size as close as possible since the original is still there, it's just being covered up

step 4: find the corresponding full size portrait and then replace it will the full sized portrait you want.

step 5: go in game and change your character graphic to the one you just added in.

Now this does work in A2, and it should work in A3, but I do not see the larger sized portraits in the A1 data file. Maybe someone else knows where they are? I have no clue if it works in A4-6.

Assuming all the games use the same resources system, logic dictates that it should be possible in all of them. I don't know if A4-6 uses the resource system, but I know A1 does, so the only hurdle would be locating the resource you want to replace. I can probably look it up once I get home.

That custom character graphic looks really good. There was a topic on making and using custom character portraits on the Shadow Vale forums. Here's the link:

http://forum.nethergate.net/index.php?showtopic=1218

The topic was about custom portraits for BoA. I'm guessing that you should be able to do this in A1-3 and of course BoA, since they have the same engine.

• 4 weeks later...

i did that last time i decided to replay the games for some variety (i went the extra mile and drew some character sprites too though), and i can say that yeah, in a2-6 you can easily replace the graphics with your edited ones.

a1's isn't as easy though since as far as i know the character portraits are embedded into the exe, at least in the pc version.

blades.png

Originally Posted By: yarrmateys
a1's isn't as easy though since as far as i know the character portraits are embedded into the exe, at least in the pc version.
If that's truly the case, you should be able to get at them with a resource editor. That said, it's rather surprising that A1 would store its graphics in the exe when all the other games before and after (as far as I know) did not. Certainly Blades of Exile didn't, and none of the ones after did.

yep, a resource editor can see them, along with the area graphics and some icons, cursors, some script items, sound effects etc.

Quote:
That said, it's rather surprising that A1 would store its graphics in the exe when all the other games before and after (as far as I know) did not.

i guess it's because it was a new engine at the time. after the engine got upgraded for a2 it probably didn't need to refer to stuff within the exe anymore or something.

The original version of Nethergate stores its floor and terrain graphics in the main program too, along with a whole lot of game text. This can be readily seen with a resource editor. That is where you find the Celt/Roman background graphics for the inventory screen.

Maybe it was meant to speed up drawing of maps?