Beta-Testing

Ociporus

Simple. First, you have to demonstrate an interest and drive to study fish. Then...

Oh, wait.

Basically, Jeff sends out a public tester's request sometime when the game is close to completion. You just sign up then, and if you're lucky, you're chosen to be a beta tester.

EDIT: Sniped, and by someone more informative, too. frown

Originally Posted By: Earth Empires
and those "experienced" testers abuse all available loopholes on game and then jeff fixes those and normal players have hard times ahead.

That's only because starting with Avernum 5, Jeff wanted to know how we were fighting boss fights. Before that ignorance led to exploits. smile

I remember in testing Geneforge 4, when I spilled the beans about the corner exploit. (Under the old Geneforge combat system, where you could move after attacking if you had enough points for a second attack, you could step round a corner, shoot, then step back out of sight. If your opponents were far enough away, then by the time they got line of sight on you they'd have too few AP left to attack. In congested zones you could kill everything without getting attacked at all.) There may well have been other reasons for Jeff's big combat change in G4, but it did happen right after I confessed that stuff, so I feel at least somewhat responsible.

The rule that you couldn't close a door if enemies were close started there, too.

• 1 month later...

Beta testing sounds like lots of fun. In reality, it can be very frustrating as well. If you agree to beta test, make sure you are willing to sink hours of your time into playing a game that will be broken in parts and be willing to replay those parts repeatedly to help Jeff fix the problem. Also, make sure you are the type that is good at taking notes and documenting. This is valuable to ensure the community gets as bug-free of a game as possible.

The timing of the beta testing is different from any of Jeff's releases in half a decade, or maybe longer. I would guess that the time between (American) Thanksgiving and Christmas is the busiest time of year for the target demographic, between the academic calendar, holiday travel, and the holidays themselves. It's entirely possible that a number of Jeff's regular beta testers said they couldn't commit to Avadon's timetable.

• 2 weeks later...