Avernum 4 poor performance on Windows 7 64-bit

posfan12

This is a continuation of the other thread in the AV5 forum (though my problems are with AV4).

I'm getting real poor performance in AV4 on Windows 7 64-bit depending on what is going on in the game. For instance, the game is choppy in the inventory, sell, buy and train screens. I am hardly able to select items to sell them or transfer them to other party members. The performance also drops when floating speech text appears above NPCs in towns and so forth. When the speech text disappears the game suddenly speeds up again.

The menus that only have text in them don't seem to suffer from slowdown and work without problems. And as long as there is no floating speech text above characters the map scrolling speed is fine too.

I encountered choppy gameplay in AV5 as well, but was able to solve the problem by setting the process priority to "above normal" in Process Explorer. Unfortunately this did not fix the menu slowdown in AV4, even on higher settings.

I'm not sure what to do at this time. XP compatibility mode doesn't seem to help either. Tried re-installing the game with no luck.

Specs:

Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit

2.2GHz single core Intel Celeron 450

GeForce 210 external graphics card

GeForce 7050 mainboard chipset

3GB RAM

DirectX 11 updated to latest redistributables (June 2010)

SATA hard drive with lots of space

Latest graphics and chipset drivers from nVidia (July 2010)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Exact same issues, really poor A4 performance (especially inventory screens) A5 and A6 run perfectly.

Intel C2D 1.8GHz

2 gigs RAM

GeForce 8600m 256MB, updated drivers

I think perhaps there is an nvidia geforce issue. I tested A4 with a DirectX11 Windows7 machine earlier today and it ran fine. Anybody have any ideas?...

Jeff (the developer) has pretty admitted that there is a slowdown on newer Windows machines, and has basically said he has no idea what it is.

Best thing you can do is make sure you're running Avernum 4 v1.01, and try running the game with no other programs running after rebooting your computer. If that doesn't work, on the Av4 support page, Jeff requests you send him your computer's specifications in the hope that he'll be able to pinpoint what's causing the slowdown.

Updated nvidia driver to 266.58 - helped a lot

Started using 16-bit color mode - helped a lot

A4 is now "choppy" in the inventory screens, pretty much running "normally" everywhere else, much more playable, I may end up buying this one too.

Hope that helps previous posters and anyone else with the problem... I had to hold down the [esc] key for a full 2 seconds to get out of inventory screens.

I'm still puzzled by the lag issue though, as stated earlier the hardware may be three years old, but A5 and A6 run no problem, as well as many more demanding games... just weird