The Magnificent Six

TERROR'S MARTYR

I found Mag6 to be a scenario that used canned plots, canned sequences, and poor dungeon design. The gameplay might have been good a long time ago, but I severely doubt it. In 1997, when Blades was released, this could be called decent nodework, gameplay, etc. And yet, today is not five years ago. Therefore, I give Mag6 the rating of Substandard

STAREYE

I actually liked Magnificent Six when I played it so long ago. If I played it again, I'm sure I would have different opinions. At one point, Mag Six was one of the best out there. It is one of the few scenarios where I actually remember specific points and the author used some nice allusions. However, in no way does it compare to the best.

My score: Average

DRIZZT

I wouldn't rate it today as high as I did in my review (it was my first), but I still think it is a mostly-decent scenario. Nothing ground-breaking perhaps, but still worth a look.

------------

A Review of The Magnificent Six by Leon Lin (leonlin AT ix.netcom.com)

Magnificent Six is the well-done first work by Mr. Lin, who went on to design the excellent scenario Rubacus. When the two scenarios are compared, the “first attempt at scenario design” feel is evident, but this is credit to the author’s skill. His first scenario is still better than most out there.

Mag 6 offers a fairly standard plot: the town of Greenvale is under attack by some mysterious bandits and it’s up to you to help them. Your journeys will take you in and diversion. under the small valley and eventually lead you to the bandit’s headquarters. The scenario is very straightforward in that there are no side quests to distract you from your mission, although a rather clever witch’s hut offers a small diversion. There are plenty of NPC’s to talk to and a well-developed outdoors. Puzzles are appropriate without being too difficult. Everything seems well balanced and thought out. The only bug I found was that a “relocate outdoors” specials needed when (later in the game) you can travel between two towns using a long underground tunnel. When I left the second town, I ended up in the mountainside beside the first. A common mistake, but an important one to correct.

Overall, this is a very good scenario. It kept my interest through the Entire game, and I’m still meaning to play it again sometime to kill those darn cats in the last level that gave my party a beat down the first time I played. There are other scenarios, like Rubacus, that have a more polished feel than Magnificent Six, but not many.

My score: Average

ROSYCAT

As I received my copy of Blades in April 2003, I can't really compare quality in '97 with quality in '03. I can say, however, that I didn't find this to be such a bad scenario, and I can say tht it was almost exactly like something Jeff Vogel wold have made, only without that one original dungeon Jeff usually adds. Still, it held me long enough to finish it, and where it lacks in originality, it compensates in being 'solid' and relatively bug-free.

Substandard

ORGGG

This was a nice, fun, short scenario. While it did not aspire to lofty heights, it didn't trip over its own feet either.

There was a fair amount of good writing, and one of the dungeons had a very nice background and history. (The wine cellar, redeveloped two different times.) There was also a sense that there was a lot more just around the corner, which there was.

The combat was interesting, the balance was quite good, the plot moved cleanly, it was bug-free, and there were places to sight-see and explore along the way.

Its only real weaknesses were a rather derivative and simple plot, and its short length.

Solid.

Average

• 4 years later...

I love this map, one of the ones I keep permanently (if only for the low-level grinding and 1-14+5 Katana.) I couldn't disagree more with people who knock it for "too much combat." The game is all about combat. If it had ANYTHING to do with conversation and storytelling there'd be a Charisma or similar stat. It's Str, Dex, and Int, all affecting combat. There's no conversation, persuassion, or anything else about interacting with NPCs beyond assorted ways of lopping their heads off, vaporizing them, or summoning something to do it for you. :) Most scenarios suffer from alack of "too much combat." Big impressive terrains, but annoyingly empty. No wandering monsters, just trudge trudge trudge from point A to B to C, etc. That's not what the game's about.