whats your favorite sommuning out of the three

Trenton.

Originally Posted By: loyal servile
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Øther
None of the above.
Ditto. However, my reason is that I don't use any summoning spell, not even Simulacrum.

lol not even one? i use major somoning

In Exile, the summons just used up too much energy for too little effect. Really they were only good for providing a distraction.

They got better in Avernum, though. Soul Capture-ing a Dark Wyrm or a Rakasha would basically set you for the game.

Originally Posted By: loyal servile
Originally Posted By: The Mystic
Originally Posted By: Øther
None of the above.
Ditto. However, my reason is that I don't use any summoning spell, not even Simulacrum.

lol not even one?
No even one. I find they're a waste of time and spell points.

I used to do summonings way back when, but no more. I tend to summon creatures that summon creatures that summon creatures that summon creatures, causing each round of combat to take a very long time (my record is just under 8 minutes). Besides, most enemies I face don't require the extra help.

Originally Posted By: Celtic Minstrel
You didn't even list all the summoning spells; you missed Summon Spirit, Summon Host, Sticks to Snakes, Guardian, and Daemon. I think that's all...

Summon beast? Something like that, though not very useful, IMHO.

Summoning can be useful, but having random monsters pop up is annoying...it's useful to have, say, giant spiders or vapour rats standing back chucking stuff at the enemy to weaken them, rather than attacking them.

I prefer using charm spells, though, as you can choose your monsters, and they don't disappear.

A nice thing about Charm is that they even persist when you leave town.

For a time, yeah.

In Exile 3, one of the towns east of Kriszan has an evil acolyte named Oppenheimer (IIRC) who Jeff Vogel seems to have forgotten to set to non-hostile as he sits in a shop and you can talk to him (I think he does identification) if you charm him.

He'll still be friendly for a while after you do that, but I came back later and he was hostile again.

Charm is great for those long dungeons where it takes several goes to completely clear out and/or there are wandering monsters.

I can picture some of the lower summoning spells (like Summon Beast or Summon Spirit) being interesting and useful if the game progressed a lot slower. But by the time you get those spells and have the SP to use them freely, it's easier and quicker to just run up with melee or use Wound/Fireball.

Speaking of it, it could be interesting to have such a scenario, where characters and items were relatively weak (stone items!) and gained experience very slowly, so that the lower spells were useful and low-level monsters were more of a threat.

You didn't even list all the summoning spells; you missed Summon Spirit, Summon Host, Sticks to Snakes, Guardian, and Daemon. I think that's all...

Anyway, I recall finding summons useful on occasion, but I don't quite recall for what.

i meant with the word summon in them pretend summon beast is thiere i forgot about it.wait can i edit a poll?

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
In Exile 3, one of the towns east of Kriszan has an evil acolyte named Oppenheimer (IIRC) who Jeff Vogel seems to have forgotten to set to non-hostile as he sits in a shop and you can talk to him (I think he does identification) if you charm him.
I remember him. I killed him, of course.

...does he respawn later if you do that?

Originally Posted By: Thaluikhain
I remember him. I killed him, of course.

...does he respawn later if you do that?

i remember him. i killed him about five times(each when redoing the game no he doesnot respown) before i charmed him and realized i can talk to him. hmm he probly attacks because he has bad eyes and thought you were a slime crazy