Interview on Avadon here ...

Spidweb

A year and a half until an Avernum rerelease with a new engine while an entirely new game in a new engine isn't even in Mac beta yet? Ambitious!

—Alorael, who is slightly worried about the transition of the large outdoor world of A1 to the more cramped A6 seamless world (to stick with the recent theme). On the other hand, maybe Lost Bahssikava will get even more expansion!

Is that really the intention? I know the world map was redone for Avernum, but it wasn't changed at all for Nethergate: Resurrection... and putting the Avernum 1 map into zone form would take an awful lot of effort. You couldn't just use the A6 map, either, without making massive modifications to it. I imagine it would take months to do the converting. I suspect that the redone Avernum will still have outdoors separate from towns.

Intriguing! Having actual developed NPC as party members reminds me of course of Greta and Alwan in G3. I thought toting them around led to some interesting character interactions. I expect these characters will be substantially more developed, though. smile

And new versions of the first Avernum trilogy? Hmm. I have been hoping Jeff would make universal/Intel-friendly versions of those games...I hope the upgrading process goes well and doesn't lose any of their old charm...

2011 is shaping up to be a busy year.

Min/max of the skill tree will be interesting since you have a choice of getting to the top of the tree or improving the bottom for different results.

The will be lots of replayability with 4 different starting classes and finding the best tactics for scripted fights. I hope Jeff doesn't clamp down this time when beta testers find solutions he doesn't expect.

This deserves its own post and it'll get more attention, but this is something I should make clear early on about the new versions of Avernum 1-3. They will have exactly the same world structure as the old games. In other words, there will be an outdoors distinct from the towns. And it'll look a lot nicer.

- Jeff Vogel

Originally Posted By: Spidweb
This deserves its own post and it'll get more attention, but this is something I should make clear early on about the new versions of Avernum 1-3. They will have exactly the same world structure as the old games. In other words, there will be an outdoors distinct from the towns. And it'll look a lot nicer.

- Jeff Vogel

Huzzah!!! * rejoices *

Originally Posted By: Triumph

- Jeff Vogel

Huzzah!!! * rejoices *

Quoted for emphasis. Yeah!!!!

My son is doing his happy dance about SpidWeb on those little platforms you can carry around... He has threatened to write you in the past regarding this oversight!!!!

I want to thank you for making games that he and I can play together. The "adult" situations are handled well and I have not had to explain anything that I was not ready to address!!!

Originally Posted By: madrigan
In other words, there will be an outdoors distinct from the towns.

Nuts. I'm much less excited now. Well, I'l see if I like the demo.
Note that this was in reference to a remade Avernum 1-3. Changing the layout would be difficult and would alter the game flow dramatically, so it really has to stay the same. It was said elsewhere that Avadon (what this thread was originally about) would be in Geneforge format, with zones. Which is awesome. I liked seamless, but zones are great too.

Originally Posted By: Monroe
Originally Posted By: madrigan
In other words, there will be an outdoors distinct from the towns.

Nuts. I'm much less excited now. Well, I'l see if I like the demo.
Note that this was in reference to a remade Avernum 1-3. Changing the layout would be difficult and would alter the game.

Yeah, I realize that. Well, actually I have no idea what the coding and design challenges would be if Jeff decided to covert A1-3 to the seamless world, but if he says it would be a huge bear then I assume that's true. Nonetheless I think this will make the games less enjoyable for me. But the indoors/outdoors was not one of the top 2-3 reasons why I could never get through much of the original A1-3, so maybe it won't turn out to be too annoying.

I'm very much looking forward to the re-release! I was in the middle of playing A1 when A4 came out and though it lacked proper keyboard control, the ability to use the mouse was a much greater win than the loss, so I bought that instead and never got back to the old ones.

I wonder if the re-release will be one game? Or is that just silly?

Anyway, I have been planning on playing them, but I will definately wait now. I don't mind the old graphics but an update to control will be very pleasent smile